Poster — Wor­ship Slides

Poster — Front-​and-​Center Slides

Poster — Event Slides

May 9 Meet­ing

The meet­ing was called to order at 6:10 PM. Pas­tor Net­tle­ton opened with a scrip­ture read­ing from 1 Peter and a prayer. The April min­utes were approved as sub­mit­ted. The one offi­cial act for April was the memo­r­ial ser­vice of Eric Dim­mick. The Sun­day atten­dance aver­age reflected a good Easter atten­dance of 271, sig­nif­i­cantly more than 2016. Lent mid­week atten­dance seemed up from prior years, though the meal atten­dance was about the same. The Offi­cial Acts report was approved as sub­mit­ted. We ended April with about $5,000 net rev­enue, putting us at a net pos­i­tive of about $12,500 for the year. Offer­ings are over bud­get fol­low­ing April, a five-​Sunday month that included Easter. Eric made a motion to approve the finan­cial report. Jo sec­onded. Motion passed.

Board Reports

  • Children’s Min­istry: Vaca­tion Bible School (June 58) prepa­ra­tion is under way. The com­mit­tee needs vol­un­teers for the week of VBS. Preschool: The board has two poten­tial new mem­bers. The school raised over $900 in three spring fundrais­ers. Open Arms has reached level two sta­tus in the new Col­orado Shines pro­gram and is prepar­ing for the eval­u­a­tion for lev­els three to five. The preschool class is already at four­teen stu­dents for the 20172018 school year, and the Pre-​K class is at ten reg­is­tra­tions. Many con­gre­ga­tion mem­bers are help­ing with tomorrow’s Mother’s Day Tea. The con­gre­ga­tion is invited to the May 11 spring pro­gram and May 19 graduation.
  • Fel­low­ship: The final Eat and Greet potluck before the sum­mer was May 7. We will resume in Octo­ber. Plan­ning the recep­tion for the Van­der­hy­des (May 28), a church pic­nic and the Rock­ies Faith Day trip for the summer.
  • Out­reach: Noth­ing to report.
  • Youth: Have com­pleted youth activ­i­ties for the school year.
  • Cam­pus: The Saint John’s/Peace With Christ task­force is meet­ing tomor­row to revisit our joint cam­pus ministry.
  • Trustees: Await­ing two addi­tional esti­mates for low-​energy replace­ments of church light­ing. There were four­teen peo­ple at last Saturday’s cleanup day.
  • Human Needs: The Heseders raised $2,600 at the Yard Sale, mostly thanks to items donated by Wil. The Heseders are putting together a group to work in Detroit July 1622, and are sup­port­ing two Mercy Med­ical Mis­sions to Africa. The Alpha Cen­ter baby bot­tle fundraiser begins May 14.
  • Lay Min­is­ters: Noth­ing to report.
  • Parish Edu­ca­tion: Chuck has been meet­ing with Dale in an effort to get the board up and run­ning. Pas­tor Net­tle­ton offered to meet with them to offer help.
  • Elder­ber­ries: Upcom­ing events include the May 18 Third Thurs­day meal and pre­sen­ta­tion on end-​of-​life prepa­ra­tion, an August Third Thurs­day event (likely a movie) and an August Rock­ies game.

Parish Administrator’s Report

  • Noth­ing to report.

Old Busi­ness

  • Sum­mer Intern Follow-​Up: On April 30, the con­gre­ga­tion approved the hir­ing of an intern for the sum­mer. Ben Van­der­hyde will be installed at the Sun­day morn­ing ser­vice on May 28 and serve through June and July. The com­mit­tee has found a fur­nished condo for the Van­der­hyde family.
  • Boy Scout Troop Follow-​Up: Pas­tor Net­tle­ton will meet with the scout­mas­ter of Boy Scout Troop 96 on May 10 to dis­cuss the congregation’s deci­sion not to renew the troop’s char­ter. The Board of Human Resources will develop and imple­ment a build­ing use pol­icy by the end of the year.

New Busi­ness

  • Archi­tec­tural Review Com­mit­tee: Bruce Bach­man sug­gested by email that the coun­cil cre­ate a com­mit­tee “to review and, where appro­pri­ate, approve requested changes to the phys­i­cal look of the church prop­er­ties, both inside and out, and make rec­om­men­da­tions to the con­gre­ga­tion for future enhance­ment projects.” Motion by Zach to estab­lish this Archi­tec­tural Review Com­mit­tee. Sec­ond by Nancy. Dis­cus­sion fol­lowed. Motion passed. Grant will ask the Board of Trustees for a vol­un­teer rep­re­sen­ta­tive. Wil will ask the Wor­ship Arts Com­mit­tee for a rep­re­sen­ta­tive and fol­low up on other names sug­gested by Council.

The meet­ing closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 6:50 PM.

The thir­teen mem­bers of the Church Coun­cil are the “Board of Direc­tors” of the con­gre­ga­tion, tasked with gen­eral over­sight of the life and activ­i­ties of the con­gre­ga­tion to the end that every­thing be done in accor­dance with the Con­sti­tu­tion and Bylaws.

April 11 Meet­ing

Meet­ing called to order at 6:05 pm once a quo­rum was present. Pas­tor Net­tle­ton opened with a devo­tion. There were a cou­ple of changes to the prior meet­ing min­utes and they were approved as amended. Lenten ser­vices have been well attended. Thanks to Sue for plan­ning all of the evening meals and to all of the groups who have par­tic­i­pated. Offi­cial Acts in March included a funeral and trans­fer­ring out a cou­ple due to relo­ca­tion. We also received a num­ber of mem­bers into the con­gre­ga­tion through affir­ma­tion of faith and trans­fer. We will be wel­com­ing cat­e­chu­mens in May. Finan­cial report showed that we are about $3,000 in the black for the year and up $7,700 for the month, which includes a health insur­ance rebate. Treasurer’s report approved.

Board Reports

  • Cam­pus Min­istry: Task force will be meet­ing May 5. There is a Spring retreat for all area cam­pus min­istries toward the end of April.
  • Finance: Did not meet.
  • Human Needs: Heseders are spon­sor­ing the Easter Break­fast. Yard sale will be the last week­end of April. Will be head­ing to Detroit July 1622 and we have about thirty spots to fill.
  • Parish Edu­ca­tion: Have not met.
  • Preschool: Did not meet this month but they are still dis­cussing Col­orado Shines rat­ing and fig­ur­ing out how they can best improve the preschool. Hop­ing to come up with more fundrais­ing ideas.
  • Trustees: Dis­cussed any poten­tial bur­den from The Gar­den main­te­nance and decided it would not be an issue. Deter­mined that we need to look into state require­ments for a bath­room for the preschool. Wait­ing for another bid about LED retro­fit. Spring cleanup sched­uled for May 6.
  • Wor­ship: Did not meet.
  • Youth: Had our first joint event with Peace With Christ and it went well.

Parish Administrator’s Report

  • Park­ing: Per­mit sys­tem along Eliz­a­beth is now being enforced by the city. Tom is work­ing with the city to see if our block could be unmon­i­tored dur­ing funer­als. Would like to get signs for our park­ing lot to pre­vent unde­sired use of our lot. We are apply­ing for the Good Neigh­bor fund from CSU to pay for the signs. This fund was designed to help those that may be affected by the on-​campus stadium.
  • Con­struc­tion neigh­bor: Since his recent con­struc­tion work, he would like to put in some trees on our side of the fence. He is still work­ing on the details so we have not yet given per­mis­sion for this project.

Old Busi­ness

  • Sum­mer Hire: The com­mit­tee for­mally inter­viewed the can­di­date, Ben Van­der­hyde, today. If approved by Coun­cil and the con­gre­ga­tion, he and his fam­ily will be in town for June and July. Ron Young is look­ing into hous­ing. All expenses are com­ing from the Wente estate. Jo moved to approve hir­ing Ben Van­der­hyde as our sum­mer intern, Sharon sec­onded, motioned passed. The con­gre­ga­tion will give final approval at the con­gre­ga­tion meeting.
  • The Gar­den: Com­mit­tee met today and are work­ing on the last few things before pre­sent­ing to the con­gre­ga­tion. Bruce will have a pre­sen­ta­tion for the con­gre­ga­tion that should include the esti­mated cost. The con­gre­ga­tion will vote if we move for­ward with the project.
  • Boy Scout issue: Dis­cus­sion con­tin­ued from past meet­ings. Grant made a motion from Coun­cil that Saint John’s dis­con­tinue our asso­ci­a­tion with BSA Troop 96 and not renew our char­ter with Troop 96. Nancy sec­onded. Vot­ing reflected five for, one against, one abstained. Motion car­ried. This topic will be on the agenda for the con­gre­ga­tional meet­ing to be voted on by members.

New Busi­ness

  • Con­gre­ga­tion Meet­ing: Planned for April 30, 2017 at 10:30 AM.

Closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 7:25 PM.

The thir­teen mem­bers of the Church Coun­cil are the “Board of Direc­tors” of the con­gre­ga­tion, tasked with gen­eral over­sight of the life and activ­i­ties of the con­gre­ga­tion to the end that every­thing be done in accor­dance with the Con­sti­tu­tion and Bylaws.

March 14 Meet­ing

The meet­ing was called to order at 6:05 PM. Pas­tor Net­tle­ton opened with a devo­tion from Isa­iah. Prior meet­ing min­utes were approved. Atten­dance has been con­sis­tent. There has been an increase in bible study atten­dance. We received the Abel fam­ily into the con­gre­ga­tion. Should have about ten new mem­bers join­ing this Sun­day. Giv­ing in Feb­ru­ary was higher than expected. We are up about $5,000 for the year. We had a few addi­tional once-​a-​year expenses. Eric motioned to approve, Jo sec­onded, motion carried.

Board Reports

  • Cam­pus Min­istry: There is a task­force meet­ing set in May to dis­cuss how to move for­ward with cam­pus min­istry and how Saint John’s can be most use­ful. The task­force includes Saint John’s mem­bers and a few col­lege students.
  • Children’s Min­istry: Given by Sue. There will be a Sun­day School meet­ing on April 5. Kids are work­ing on their Palm Sun­day song. VBS will be the first week in June.
  • Elder­ber­ries: Have had good atten­dance at the Noon Lenten meals. No major events planned.
  • Fel­low­ship: The next Eat and Greet will be April 2. Lenten din­ners are going well and the remain­ing meal have been planned. The soft­ball team is look­ing for play­ers, espe­cially women, for the sum­mer league.
  • Finance: Did not meet.
  • Human Needs: Garage sale will be at the end of the May. Kim­berly Pep­miller is cur­rently serv­ing in Mada­gas­car. Heseders are look­ing to have a trip in July.
  • Human Resources: Noth­ing to report.
  • Lay Min­istry: Met but noth­ing to report.
  • Out­reach: Did not meet but we are glad to know that our ad in the Dis­cover mag­a­zine has brought peo­ple in.
  • Parish Edu­ca­tion: Has not met and look­ing for more board members.
  • Preschool: Kandy is look­ing to inte­grate a music pro­gram into the weekly sched­ule for next semes­ter for the older stu­dents. Fund­ing would likely come from the “spe­cial projects” fund. March 29 there will be a fundraiser at Pour Broth­ers restaurant.
  • Trustees: Did not meet. Will have some­one from Tere­lux com­ing in to look at LED retro­fit for the lights through­out the church.
  • Wor­ship: Met today but noth­ing to report.
  • Youth: Con­tin­u­ing to do youth events and they are going well.

Parish Administrator’s Report

  • Paper Cut­ting Machine: A $200/​month expense was built into the bud­get for this year which would cover the cost of leas­ing a new machine. Coun­cil agrees Tom should look for a used one at a lower price closer to $100/​month.

Old Busi­ness

  • The Gar­den: Com­mit­tee met today. Should have every­thing together to present to the con­gre­ga­tion April 30. Have decided to name the project The Garden.
  • Sum­mer intern: HR board approved a job descrip­tion for the intern. Have heard from a can­di­date and hope to inter­view him some­time this month. Would like to present this to the con­gre­ga­tion at the upcom­ing meeting.
  • Boy Scouts: Dis­cus­sion con­tin­ued from last meet­ing. The Boy Scout char­ter is issued to Saint John’s vot­ing mem­bers there­fore the mat­ter must be put to a mem­ber vote. Nancy made a motion that the Church Coun­cil sup­port Pas­tor Net­tle­ton and LCMS rec­om­men­da­tion to not renew our char­ter with Boy Scout Troop 96, Bruce sec­onded, motion passed.
  • Facil­ity use pol­icy: The HR board will begin for­mu­lat­ing a facil­ity use policy.

Open Agenda Items

  • First Aid Sig­nage: We should really have signs in the Large Fel­low­ship Hall and any other rel­e­vant areas sig­ni­fy­ing where first aid kits and fire extin­guish­ers are. Tom will take care of this.

Closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 7:10 PM.

The thir­teen mem­bers of the Church Coun­cil are the “Board of Direc­tors” of the con­gre­ga­tion, tasked with gen­eral over­sight of the life and activ­i­ties of the con­gre­ga­tion to the end that every­thing be done in accor­dance with the Con­sti­tu­tion and Bylaws.

Feb­ru­ary 14 Meet­ing

The meet­ing was called to order at 6:05 PM. Pas­tor Net­tle­ton opened with a short devo­tion on Saint Valen­tine. The Decem­ber and Jan­u­ary min­utes were approved with a cor­rec­tion. Jan­u­ary atten­dance was lower than pre­vi­ous year’s. We are expect­ing a few trans­fers into the con­gre­ga­tion in the com­ing month. Jan­u­ary ended $3,600 in the red. Most of this deficit is due to one-​time, begin­ning of the year expenses. Con­gre­ga­tion giv­ing has been con­sis­tent over the last few months.

Board Reports

  • Cam­pus Min­istry: Look­ing for more board mem­bers. Cur­rently focus­ing on how Saint John’s can best facil­i­tate this group.
  • Children’s Min­istry: Work­ing to estab­lish a more cohe­sive board. Kids sang dur­ing the ser­vice last week.
  • Elder­ber­ries: Met last week. Will be watch­ing the 1953 Mar­tin Luther movie. Have the first Lenten lunches planned. Would like to have another pre­sen­ta­tion on Advanced Care planning.
  • Fel­low­ship: Small Eat-​and-​Greet this month and the next will be in March. Most evening Lenten meals are taken care of.
  • Human Needs: Kim­berly Pep­miller is head­ing out for a trip to Mada­gas­car soon. The Heseders met in early Feb­ru­ary and plan to host the garage sale in late April. Cur­rently the group is plan­ning to go to inner city Detroit for a mis­sion trip — dates unde­ter­mined. Heseders will be help­ing with Lenten meals and Easter breakfast.
  • Human Resources: Cur­rently com­plet­ing staff eval­u­a­tions. Pas­tor and the board are work­ing on a sum­mer intern­ship arrangement.
  • Lay Min­istry: Met in Jan­u­ary. Wel­comed Ron Young as a new lay minister.
  • Out­reach: Has not met.
  • Preschool: Look­ing to add more board mem­bers. The Preschool Fair at the Lin­coln Cen­ter and the annual Open House were huge suc­cesses. There are three new reg­is­trants from these out­reach events alone, bring­ing our expected total to fif­teen stu­dents for the com­ing year.
  • Trustees: Met last Sun­day. Hung a bul­letin board down­stairs and will look into a solu­tion for the cracked bap­tismal font.
  • Wor­ship: Met last month and reviewed the Advent and Christ­mas ser­vices. Have con­cerns about the restrooms down­stairs near the office and would like these to be updated.
  • Youth: Noth­ing to report.

Parish Administrator’s Report

  • Music Camp: The group that was look­ing to use our facil­ity this sum­mer has since found another location.
  • Neigh­bor­hood Park­ing: The City is look­ing to make the neigh­bor­hood around Saint John’s a per­mit­ted park­ing neigh­bor­hood. Park­ing along Eliz­a­beth and Math­ews would be mon­i­tored with a 2-​hour once-​a-​day limit. This will not effect Sun­day morn­ings (the restric­tions are in place week­days only) and, because guests may park on the street for two hours, will have a lim­ited impact on wed­dings and funerals.
  • Down­stairs Ren­o­va­tion: The Trustees and oth­ers in the church are look­ing into a kitchen and down­stairs restroom ren­o­va­tion. Both areas are very dated par­tic­u­larly the restrooms. Bruce rec­om­mends that the Trustees come up with a plan for the down­stairs bath­rooms as a tem­po­rary solu­tion as any major remodel would require hand­i­cap acces­si­bil­ity. With this, the Trustees should also look into hav­ing a small bath­room attached to the preschool.

Old Busi­ness

  • Memo­r­ial Gar­den: Will be get­ting together soon to have mat­ters resolved so the project can be pre­sented to the congregation.

Open Agenda Items

  • Sum­mer Pas­toral Sup­port: Ruth Seiler, Del Fredin, Ron Young, Pas­tor, and Wil are part of the com­mit­tee to work on find­ing a sum­mer intern.
  • Spring Con­gre­ga­tion Meet­ing: Easter falls in late April so meet­ing will likely be the week after Easter.
  • Boy Scouts of Amer­ica: Due to recent announce­ments by the Boy Scouts of Amer­ica and the LCMS stance on the mat­ters, Pas­tor Net­tle­ton rec­om­mends that Saint John’s dis­con­tinue our rela­tion­ship with Troop 96. Dis­cus­sion fol­lowed. Bruce sug­gests that this be brought up at the con­gre­ga­tion meet­ing for a con­gre­ga­tion vote. The Troop is aware that our char­ter could be dis­solved. Pas­tor Net­tle­ton also rec­om­mends that we cre­ate a facil­ity use pol­icy to ensure that groups that use our facil­ity share Lutheran the­o­log­i­cal beliefs. The board of Human Resources will start with get­ting this in place.

Closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 7:15 PM

The thir­teen mem­bers of the Church Coun­cil are the “Board of Direc­tors” of the con­gre­ga­tion, tasked with gen­eral over­sight of the life and activ­i­ties of the con­gre­ga­tion to the end that every­thing be done in accor­dance with the Con­sti­tu­tion and Bylaws.

Jan­u­ary 10 Meet­ing

The meet­ing was called to order at 6:05 PM. Pas­tor Net­tle­ton opened with a devo­tion. Eric made a motion to approve the Novem­ber min­utes. Zach sec­onded. Motion approved. In Novem­ber we had a bap­tism and a few trans­fers out of the con­gre­ga­tion in addi­tion to a funeral. In Decem­ber, aver­age Sun­day atten­dance was down. Mid­week ser­vice atten­dance was also down. Christ­mas Day ser­vice was well attended. No offi­cial acts for Decem­ber. Novem­ber left us down about $4,000 for the month. Going into Decem­ber we were down $16,000 for the year. Our giv­ing was increased, leav­ing us $85 up for the month. How­ever, we ended the year about $8,000 in the red. There were no unbud­geted expenses for the year. The biggest indi­vid­ual expense was the new AC unit ($6,500). Eric motioned to approve the finan­cial reports. Jo sec­onded. Motion approved.

Board Reports

  • Wil assigned board liaisons as fol­lows: Cam­pus Min­istry, Sharon Gib­bons; Children’s Min­istry, Zach Stephens; Elder­ber­ries, June Don­ald­son; Fel­low­ship, Sue Gard­ner; Finance, Nancy Behm; Human Needs, Joel San­ford; Human Resources, Bruce Bach­man; Lay Min­istry, Pas­tor Net­tle­ton; Out­reach, Eric Gard­ner; Parish Edu­ca­tion, Chuck Cal­vano; Preschool, Jo Fredin; Trustees, Grant Wolf; Wor­ship, Sam Gard­ner; Youth, Sharon Gib­bons. Wil asked each liai­son to meet with their board and make sure mem­ber lists and board chairs are correct.
  • Fel­low­ship: The board has decided that there will be evening Lenten meals.
  • Preschool: On Jan­u­ary 22 the Preschool will present their new logo and mis­sion state­ment to the con­gre­ga­tion dur­ing the fel­low­ship hour.
  • Trustees: Leon Knox had an esti­mate to replace all of the lights in the build­ing with more effi­cient LED lights. The esti­mate came in at $18,000, so Eric sug­gests con­vert­ing them our­selves start­ing with the lights used most often. Eric and Grant will look into recent roof leaks.

Parish Administrator’s Report

  • Off the Hook Arts Sum­mer­fest: A local non-​profit is look­ing for a venue to hold a music/​art camp this July for min­i­mal cost. We have hosted them in the past with few issues. Zach pro­posed that is would be help­ful to have a rep­re­sen­ta­tive from Church present while they would be here. Bruce sug­gested we pro­pose to them a fee that would include the cost of extra AC and extra cus­to­dial work. Tom and Jean­nie will deter­mine an appro­pri­ate fee.
  • Auto­matic Paper cut­ter: Tom pro­poses we lease an auto­matic paper cut­ter for approx­i­mately $200/​month. Zach will look into another option and this will be dis­cussed next meeting.

New Busi­ness

  • Memo­r­ial Gar­den: Still have issues to resolve before it can be presented.
  • 2017 Exec­u­tive Com­mit­tee: Pres­i­dent Wil Shi­moda, Vice Pres­i­dent Bruce Bach­man, Tea­surer Nancy Behm, Sec­re­tary Sam Gard­ner, and Coun­cil mem­ber Zach Stephens.
  • Pas­toral sup­port: Should get together a com­mit­tee to start the process for find­ing pas­toral sup­port for Pas­tor Net­tle­ton. This posi­tion would likely start as a sum­mer intern­ship. Pas­tor Net­tle­ton does know of one poten­tial candidate.
  • Note from the Pres­i­dent: Wil would like to extend a wel­come to our new Coun­cil mem­bers Chuck and Grant for agree­ing to join us and to thank Rox­Ann Karkoff-​Schweizer, Ron Young and Tim Maxwell for their service.

Closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 7:00 PM.

The thir­teen mem­bers of the Church Coun­cil are the “Board of Direc­tors” of the con­gre­ga­tion, tasked with gen­eral over­sight of the life and activ­i­ties of the con­gre­ga­tion to the end that every­thing be done in accor­dance with the Con­sti­tu­tion and Bylaws.