- Written by Sam Gardner Sam Gardner
- Created: 15 October 2016 15 October 2016
Meeting called to order at 6:07 PM. Pastor Nettleton opened with a devotion from First Corinthians. Reviewed minutes. Joel motioned to approve, Bruce seconded. Motion carried. No Official Acts for the month of August. Attendance for August was down compared to prior year. Attendance has been down all summer. Offering giving is down about $9,000 for the month, most likely due to lower summer attendance. We are currently $14,000 in the red year-to-date. October has five Sundays, which will give things a boost. Overall, things are not looking too bad. Bruce motioned to approve, Sue seconded, motioned carried.
- Campus Ministry: Discussion on agenda for later in meeting.
- Children’s Ministry: Have not met.
- Elderberries: Rockies game in August. Will be continuing Third Thursday Potlucks.
- Fellowship: Had church picnic with about forty people. Second Rockies game is this Sunday. Eat and Greet Potlucks start October 2. Discussion about not having evening midweek Advent meals.
- Finance: Nothing to report.
- Human Needs: Nothing to report.
- Human Resources: Nothing to report
- Lay Ministry: Nothing to report.
- Outreach: Nothing new to report.
- Parish Education: Has not met.
- Preschool: Up to 23 altogether so we are looking good for carrying ourselves through the summer. Have hired a new aide. Rebranding is going well. Presented a new mission statement to Council for approval: “Building character, school readiness and community awareness in a nurturing Christian classroom.” Zach moved to approve new mission statement. Nancy seconded. Motion carried.
- Trustees: August 19th was a grounds clean up, including roof area and skylight. Would like to send Hageman’s a thank you letter for not charging us to drop off truckloads of lawn refuse.
- Worship: Did not meet today, but have a few notes. 2016–2017 altar calendar is set to go. Thanksgiving Eve service is November 23 at 6:30 PM. Christmas decorating will be November 27. Tentative plan for one Christmas Eve service at 6:00 PM and one Christmas day service at 10:00 AM with no Education hour.
- Youth: We have a few youth in confirmation. There has not been a board meeting but would like to meet soon to plan some events.
Parish Administrator’s Report
- Budget time: Board liaisons, please get budget request forms to your board chairs.
- Staff Health Insurance: Staff would like to stick with the same health insurance and HSA donation plan. Still the least expensive Concordia option, despite a 20% premium increase. Bruce motioned to approve. Tim seconded. Motioned carried.
- Carpeting: Behind schedule; Carpet One waiting for shipment of the carpet from the factory.
- Nominating Committee: The committee is responsible for recruiting two candidates for each position. The nominating committee will be Pastor Nettleton, Nancy, Eric, two board members of different boards and a congregation member at large.
- Campus Ministry: Pastor met with Pastor Magruder at Peace With Christ to talk about Campus Ministry. Peace With Christ’s Parish Assistant, Hannah, will handle the social aspect of the group. But, since we would like this to be more of a partnership between Peace With Christ and Saint John’s, Pastor Nettleton proposed that Saint John’s contract Michael Groves to teach the students. The money for this will come from the budget under Pastor Nettleton’s “pastoral care”.
- Assistant Pastor: Ron and the HR board have come up with a job description for an Assistant Pastor. Will likely start as a contractual position and move to a salary based position.
Closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 7:30 PM.
The thirteen members of the Church Council are the “Board of Directors” of the congregation, tasked with general oversight of the life and activities of the congregation to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Constitution and Bylaws.