- Written by Sam Gardner Sam Gardner
- Created: April 15 2017 April 15 2017
The meeting was called to order at 6:05 PM. Pastor Nettleton opened with a devotion from Isaiah. Prior meeting minutes were approved. Attendance has been consistent. There has been an increase in bible study attendance. We received the Abel family into the congregation. Should have about ten new members joining this Sunday. Giving in February was higher than expected. We are up about $5,000 for the year. We had a few additional once-a-year expenses. Eric motioned to approve, Jo seconded, motion carried.
- Campus Ministry: There is a taskforce meeting set in May to discuss how to move forward with campus ministry and how Saint John’s can be most useful. The taskforce includes Saint John’s members and a few college students.
- Children’s Ministry: Given by Sue. There will be a Sunday School meeting on April 5. Kids are working on their Palm Sunday song. VBS will be the first week in June.
- Elderberries: Have had good attendance at the Noon Lenten meals. No major events planned.
- Fellowship: The next Eat and Greet will be April 2. Lenten dinners are going well and the remaining meal have been planned. The softball team is looking for players, especially women, for the summer league.
- Finance: Did not meet.
- Human Needs: Garage sale will be at the end of the May. Kimberly Pepmiller is currently serving in Madagascar. Heseders are looking to have a trip in July.
- Human Resources: Nothing to report.
- Lay Ministry: Met but nothing to report.
- Outreach: Did not meet but we are glad to know that our ad in the Discover magazine has brought people in.
- Parish Education: Has not met and looking for more board members.
- Preschool: Kandy is looking to integrate a music program into the weekly schedule for next semester for the older students. Funding would likely come from the “special projects” fund. March 29 there will be a fundraiser at Pour Brothers restaurant.
- Trustees: Did not meet. Will have someone from Terelux coming in to look at LED retrofit for the lights throughout the church.
- Worship: Met today but nothing to report.
- Youth: Continuing to do youth events and they are going well.
Parish Administrator’s Report
- Paper Cutting Machine: A $200/month expense was built into the budget for this year which would cover the cost of leasing a new machine. Council agrees Tom should look for a used one at a lower price closer to $100/month.
- The Garden: Committee met today. Should have everything together to present to the congregation April 30. Have decided to name the project The Garden.
- Summer intern: HR board approved a job description for the intern. Have heard from a candidate and hope to interview him sometime this month. Would like to present this to the congregation at the upcoming meeting.
- Boy Scouts: Discussion continued from last meeting. The Boy Scout charter is issued to Saint John’s voting members therefore the matter must be put to a member vote. Nancy made a motion that the Church Council support Pastor Nettleton and LCMS recommendation to not renew our charter with Boy Scout Troop 96, Bruce seconded, motion passed.
- Facility use policy: The HR board will begin formulating a facility use policy.
Open Agenda Items
- First Aid Signage: We should really have signs in the Large Fellowship Hall and any other relevant areas signifying where first aid kits and fire extinguishers are. Tom will take care of this.
Closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 7:10 PM.
The thirteen members of the Church Council are the “Board of Directors” of the congregation, tasked with general oversight of the life and activities of the congregation to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Constitution and Bylaws.