- Written by Sam Gardner Sam Gardner
- Created: 15 May 2017 15 May 2017
Meeting called to order at 6:05 pm once a quorum was present. Pastor Nettleton opened with a devotion. There were a couple of changes to the prior meeting minutes and they were approved as amended. Lenten services have been well attended. Thanks to Sue for planning all of the evening meals and to all of the groups who have participated. Official Acts in March included a funeral and transferring out a couple due to relocation. We also received a number of members into the congregation through affirmation of faith and transfer. We will be welcoming catechumens in May. Financial report showed that we are about $3,000 in the black for the year and up $7,700 for the month, which includes a health insurance rebate. Treasurer’s report approved.
- Campus Ministry: Task force will be meeting May 5. There is a Spring retreat for all area campus ministries toward the end of April.
- Finance: Did not meet.
- Human Needs: Heseders are sponsoring the Easter Breakfast. Yard sale will be the last weekend of April. Will be heading to Detroit July 16–22 and we have about thirty spots to fill.
- Parish Education: Have not met.
- Preschool: Did not meet this month but they are still discussing Colorado Shines rating and figuring out how they can best improve the preschool. Hoping to come up with more fundraising ideas.
- Trustees: Discussed any potential burden from The Garden maintenance and decided it would not be an issue. Determined that we need to look into state requirements for a bathroom for the preschool. Waiting for another bid about LED retrofit. Spring cleanup scheduled for May 6.
- Worship: Did not meet.
- Youth: Had our first joint event with Peace With Christ and it went well.
Parish Administrator’s Report
- Parking: Permit system along Elizabeth is now being enforced by the city. Tom is working with the city to see if our block could be unmonitored during funerals. Would like to get signs for our parking lot to prevent undesired use of our lot. We are applying for the Good Neighbor fund from CSU to pay for the signs. This fund was designed to help those that may be affected by the on-campus stadium.
- Construction neighbor: Since his recent construction work, he would like to put in some trees on our side of the fence. He is still working on the details so we have not yet given permission for this project.
- Summer Hire: The committee formally interviewed the candidate, Ben Vanderhyde, today. If approved by Council and the congregation, he and his family will be in town for June and July. Ron Young is looking into housing. All expenses are coming from the Wente estate. Jo moved to approve hiring Ben Vanderhyde as our summer intern, Sharon seconded, motioned passed. The congregation will give final approval at the congregation meeting.
- The Garden: Committee met today and are working on the last few things before presenting to the congregation. Bruce will have a presentation for the congregation that should include the estimated cost. The congregation will vote if we move forward with the project.
- Boy Scout issue: Discussion continued from past meetings. Grant made a motion from Council that Saint John’s discontinue our association with BSA Troop 96 and not renew our charter with Troop 96. Nancy seconded. Voting reflected five for, one against, one abstained. Motion carried. This topic will be on the agenda for the congregational meeting to be voted on by members.
- Congregation Meeting: Planned for April 30, 2017 at 10:30 AM.
Closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 7:25 PM.
The thirteen members of the Church Council are the “Board of Directors” of the congregation, tasked with general oversight of the life and activities of the congregation to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Constitution and Bylaws.