- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 23 October 2018 23 October 2018
The meeting was called to order at 6:01 PM. Pastor Nettleton opened with a devotion. The August minutes were approved by a voice vote. Pastor Nettleton reported that attendance in August was good compared to prior years. Official Acts included the funeral of Lois Hanson, which the family was able to coordinate with Pastor Nettleton’s vacation schedule, and the transfer of Linda Funke. Pastor Ken Funke’s transfer will follow soon. Nancy reported that while there were no non-budgeted expenses in August, income was low, leading to a $6,016 deficit for August, $24,950 for the year. The preschool is running a slight deficit for the year, but that will quickly be made up now that school has resumed.
- Campus Ministry: Celebrated a back-to-school barbecue at the end of August with eight students and congregation members. Planning a monthly midweek meal and prayer service.
- Children’s Ministry: (Zach via email) Sunday school is back in session. We have recruited teachers for all classes; they were installed last Sunday. More children enrolled this year.
- Elderberries: Meeting tomorrow for fall planning. Have committed to providing meals for morning Advent midweek services.
- Fellowship: Held the early September church picnic. Meet and Greet potlucks will resume in October. Have committed to coordinating evening Advent midweek meals.
- Finance: The board discussed heating system replacement funding options; will discuss later in meeting.
- Human Needs: No report.
- Human Resources: No report.
- Lay Ministry: Pastor Nettleton will be recruiting additional Lay Ministers.
- Outreach: Continuing preparation for the upcoming September 28 presentation and 29 conference.
- Parish Education: Decided to continue lectionary study for the Sunday morning adult Bible study until beginning the third part of the video-based series on Luther and the Reformation in October. Looking at a study on Genesis history to follow.
- Preschool: Class started September 4 with 41 children. Have an advisor from the county Early Childhood Council visiting regularly to help prepare for the formal Colorado Shines evaluation this spring; she has been complimentary of the program and thinks the school is on track for a high rating. The Preschool Board requested permission from Council to use the sanctuary for the Christmas and Spring all-school programs. Discussion followed. Motion by June to allow the preschool to use the sanctuary for their evening programs. Second by Sue. Discussion followed; Tom was asked to pass some guidelines on to preschool staff. Motion carried.
- Trustees: Grant and family, with help from Art Mullen, refinished and painted the preschool playground equipment. A broken sprinkler valve was fixed.
- Worship: No report.
- Youth: Planning quarterly activities for youth, including September frisbee golf outing.
Parish Administrator’s Report
- Health Insurance: Working with Concordia to change plans to a lower-cost alternative with similar benefits.
- Budget Planning: Tom handed out forms to Board liaisons to bring to their boards. Requests that boards evaluate their needs for 2018 and return the completed forms to him by the end of September.
- Boiler: The boiler committee presented a motion to authorize the church council president to sign the quote with Tra Mar to go ahead with the boiler replacement as bid. [NB: No second required for motion from committee.] Discussion followed. Motion failed by voice vote.
- Motion by Don to call a special voter meeting for September 30 at 10:30 AM to inform the congregation about the Council’s plan to fund and carry out replacement of the heating system. Discussion followed. Motion approved by voice vote. The presentation for the meeting will be developed by the boiler committee and sent to Council by email for final input.
- Congregation Structure Committee: Bruce Bachman will attend the next Council meeting to present the committee’s proposal on a new framework for congregation leadership.
- Nomination Committee: Five committee members need to be appointed to work with Pastor Nettleton on finding candidates to stand for the open Council positions. The two council members will be Chuck and Stephen. They, with Pastor Nettleton, will approach Del Fredin, Anita Walters and Ron Young about filling the remaining seats.
- Fall Congregation Meeting: The fall meeting will be Sunday, November 11, at 10:30 AM.
Open Agenda Items
- Architectural Review Committee: The committee is preparing a proposal on updating landscaping on the south side of the church building. They will seek to be added to the agenda of an upcoming Council meeting to present the proposal.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:09 PM. Closed with the Lord’s Prayer.
The thirteen members of the Church Council are the “Board of Directors” of the congregation, tasked with general oversight of the life and activities of the congregation to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Constitution and Bylaws.