- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: June 19 2015 June 19 2015
After Pastor Nettleton opened the meeting with a reading and meditation from the Gospel of John, we reviewed and approved the June meeting minutes, the June and July Official Acts (membership transfers, baptisms, funerals and the like) and the June and July Treasurer Reports. Though we are running a deficit for the year, we are in better financial shape this year than we were at this time last year.
The members of Council, who each liaise with a different board, reported on the board activity. Notable reports:
- Preschool registration is going well, with thirteen enrolled (enough that we will be having both the Monday-Wednesday-Friday and the Tuesday-Thursday classes) and others interested. Director Kandy Wise has purchased and is integrating a new Christian curriculum called “ABC Jesus Loves Me.” The board submitted a proposal to Council on how they would like to go about directing and granting financial aid requests from families.
- We have opened ten spots at the back of the parking lot for a nearby fraternity to park overnight through the school week. In return, they will be paying to have the parking lot crack-sealed and striped.
- We have a new system of accounting and cash-handling controls in place at Saint John’s. We’ve been blessed to have had no money issues through the years, and these policies will ensure that trend continues!
- Our team campus ministry with Peace With Christ continues this school year, starting with a September picnic and including weekly Bible study at Saint John’s on Tuesdays.
- The Sunday School teachers met on August 29 to plan and prepare for the school year, which begins September 13.
- First-Sunday Potlucks will resume in October.
- Outreach has completed a new church brochure.
Noble Energy is holding drilling royalties from Saint John’s oil lease until a couple of things are cleared up with the Wente estate. The Foundation, to which Council gave administration of the oil lease, expects to have these things resolved within the next couple of months.
The committee preparing a proposal for a Saint John’s Memorial Garden has been meeting. They expect to make a presentation to Council soon.
We are continuing to seek organist candidates to help Del and Nelly through the rest of the year and potentially take a regular position come 2016.
Chris Powers will be resigning his Council seat. He has gotten married and will be joining his wife at Redeemer Lutheran. Council will appoint someone to serve through the end of the year.
Council’s next meeting will be on September 8, 2015. Vice President Wil Shimoda will preside.
The thirteen members of the Church Council are the “Board of Directors” of the congregation, tasked with general oversight of the life and activities of the congregation to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Constitution and Bylaws.