- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 13 April 2018 13 April 2018
Meeting called to order at 6:00 PM. Dale opened with a prayer. The minutes were approved as presented. February Official Acts included the memorial service of Ron Hert and the Douglas family’s transfer into membership. Attendance for February was similar to last year. Giving in 2018 has only been at 89% of the budget. Despite no out-of-the-ordinary expenses, February ended with a $2,700 deficit, contributing to the $8,900 deficit year-to-date.
- Campus Ministry: Nothing to report.
- Children’s Ministry: The New Life Festival is coming soon. Volunteers are needed!
- Elderberries: Met on February 14 and will meet again tomorrow. Good attendance (thirty to forty people) at the Lent lunches so far. Planning a ham dinner for Holy (Maundy) Thursday. Still working on scheduling the summer Rockies game.
- Fellowship: Held March Eat and Greet with 25 people. The next Eat and Greet (and final before the summer break) will be in May. Hosted the reception for new members and the reception for Pastor Nettleton’s birthday.
- Finance: Nothing to report.
- Human Needs: Nothing new to report. Board will be meeting to prepare for Alpha Center fundraiser and to find a new chair in April.
- Human Resources: No meeting.
- Lay Ministry: Met in February. We have sixteen homebound members. Pastor Nettleton visits each about every six weeks. Several watch the service via streaming.
- Outreach: Nothing to report.
- Parish Education: Had first meeting in quite a while today. Planning to resume meeting quarterly.
- Preschool: Enrollment for 2018–2019 school year is going great, with a full Monday/Wednesday/Friday morning class (with five on the waiting list), an almost-full (twelve of fifteen) Tuesday/Thursday class and eight of fifteen in the new Monday/Wednesday/Friday afternoon class. The preschool has received a $1,200 grant from Colorado Shines to make classroom improvements. Looking to make some playground improvements over the summer.
- Trustees: Investigating improvements to the temperature control and monitoring system for the sanctuary; considering upgrading the thermostats.
- Worship: No report.
- Youth: Have youth events scheduled through the school year, but attendance has been low due to families’ schedule conflicts. The youth will help with the egg hunt for the New Life Festival.
Parish Administrator’s Report
- We are looking for suggestions for an attorney for occasional church projects. Someone familiar with property and contract law preferred.
- Congregation Structure Committee: Pastor Nettleton reported that the committee has met to do some brainstorming. They plan to have a recommendation for Council after six meetings.
- Security Taskforce: Don reported that the taskforce had their first meeting and will meet again on the nineteenth. Will present Council with a draft security and safety policy/procedure and any additional recommendations.
- Building Use Policy: The policy has not yet been reviewed by an attorney, but Tom suggested that Council provisionally approve the policy. Discussion followed. Eric made a motion to approve the Church Facility Use policy as presented. Second by Jim. Discussion followed. Motion carried.
- Spring Congregation Meeting: Scheduled for April 22. Agenda will include oral board reports and a presentation from the Foundation. Discussion followed on the Council’s January 2018 decision to recommend to the congregation at the spring meeting that the Shimoda Estate funds be placed under Foundation management. This will be included on the agenda, as planned.
Open Agenda Items
- Boiler: The Trustees would like to get the boiler replaced soon; even this summer. Council directed the Trustees to put together a proposal, including a bid and timetable for the project, by the next council meeting for inclusion on the agenda for the spring congregation meeting.
Adjourned with a prayer at 7:27 PM.
The thirteen members of the Church Council are the “Board of Directors” of the congregation, tasked with general oversight of the life and activities of the congregation to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Constitution and Bylaws.