- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 22 August 2019 22 August 2019
There's always something happening at Saint John's! Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities.
Church Office Closed
We will be closed Labor Day (Monday, September 2). Normal hours resume September 3.
Mission Guild (LWML) Meeting
All ladies of the congregation are invited to join us for a Bible Study from the Summer 2019 Quarterly, Mite devotion and business meeting. Tuesday, September 3, at 10:30 AM in Room 301. Members, please bring your Mite Box and suggestions for a recipient for the Fall Brunch.
Christian Education Sunday
As Sunday School and confirmation classes resume, it is a good time to reflect on our study of God's word. We kick off the new season with a special celebration of Christian Education for students of all ages. Sunday, September 8.
All men are invited to gather with their brothers in Christ to support and encourage (and pray for) one another in their God-given vocations. Tuesday, September 17, at 6:30 PM.
Third Thursday Event
Join us for a potluck lunch and a presentation by Del and Jeannie Benson on their most recent trip to Africa. Thursday, September 19; Noon lunch, with presentation to follow in the Small Fellowship Hall. Please bring a favorite dish to share!
Attic Cleaning Day
It’s time for round two of attic cleaning! Please come lend a hand as we continue the process of organizing our big storage area, with a particular focus this year on the areas set aside for children’s programs like Sunday School and VBS. Anyone interested in helping out, whether you’re more comfortable sorting, hauling or sweeping, will find something to do. Families in particular are invited to come join the cleanup fun this year! Saturday, September 28, 9:00 AM to Noon. Meet in the Large Fellowship Hall for snacks, orientation and assignments!.
Artisan Fair and Bazaar
Start your holiday shopping at Saint John’s Lutheran, where the work of thirty artists and craftspeople, including woodcrafts, pottery, jewelry, textiles and fine cuisine, will be available for sale, along with crafts our teams have collected from missions abroad. Friday, November 8, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and Saturday, November 9, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM in the Large and Small Fellowship Halls. Booth fees and the proceeds from the Heseder’s sales will go to the Heseder fund to support future mission work.
- We would appreciate help from the congregation finding items for the silent auction—donations from individuals or local businesses interested in promoting themselves. If you are aware of a business you think we should contact, please call or email Tom at the church office.
- Bakers are needed to provide baked goods for the bake sale portion of the Bazaar. If you are able to bake or to man the tables for a shift, please contact the church office.
Food and Clothing Bank
Volunteers serve those in need of food or clothing; we appreciate donations of non-perishable food and new or gently-used clothing and household items. Tuesdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Help Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Direct Your Thrivent Choice Dollars
Eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for the last quarter (or year) to Saint John's or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Join the Prayer Chain
Join the chain and commit to praying for our congregation members facing illness or hardship; messages are passed by phone from person to person or via email. To join, contact the church office.
Missing a Dish? It’s Probably in the Kitchen
Come downstairs and see if you’ve left behind a pan, dish or container after a recent potluck or event; we always seem to have quite a collection!
Open Arms Fundraisers
Pizza Palz cards are available in the Church Office. For just $11, you can purchase a card good for an Old Chicago pizza of up to $25 while supporting the preschool! Call or stop by the church office to purchase.
Direct a portion of your Amazon purchases through “Amazon Smile.” Set up giving and then update your bookmarks/favorites to Amazon to < smile.amazon.com > to give 0.5% of every Amazon purchase you make to Open Arms Christian Preschool. Go to < http://smile.amazon.com/ch/84-0450786 > to set up giving.
Thrivent Members Needed
If you are a Thrivent member and have not been involved in an Action Team project, please contact Jeannie or Tom in the church office for information on how to get involved. We have a lot of project ideas and want to put your Thrivent membership to work! Also: eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for last quarter to Saint John's, the Foundation, the Preschool or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!