- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: February 23 2020 February 23 2020
There's always something happening at Saint John's! Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities.
All events and activities other than worship services are cancelled through April 17. Worship services will be online only, streaming from www.StJohnsFC.org. The church office will be closed from March 27 through April 17. At the time of publication the following events are proceeding as scheduled, but subject to change. Please watch www.StJohnsFC.org for updates.
Palm Sunday (Divine Service)
Jesus' grand entrance into Jerusalem, which we celebrate with waving palms and shouts of “Hosanna,” sets the scene for His final acts and words before the crucifixion, which we will meditate upon in our Holy Week services. Live stream 9:00 AM April 5; click through to YouTube if watching after the service time.
Holy (Maundy) Thursday (Divine Service)
We honor Jesus’ commands—to “love one another” and “do this in remembrance of Me”—as we celebrate the holy meal, given and shed for us, and remember His sacrifice for us. Live stream 7:00 PM April 9; click through to YouTube if watching after the service time.
Good Friday Tenebrae Service (Service of the Word)
Good Friday is the second part of the three-day service called the Triduum. It is a time of somber reflection on the mystery of the cross, that from a death should flow forgiveness and life. We may be separated from the actual events of the crucifixion by two thousand years, but it was for our sins that our Lord suffered and died and to us that He gives the fruit of His suffering and death. Live stream 7:00 PM April 10; click through to YouTube if watching after the service time.
Easter Sunrise (Divine Service)
In a special service at the break of dawn we remember God's saving grace throughout human history, which culminated in the sacrificial gift of Christ Jesus and His resurrection from the grave. Live stream 6:30 AM April 12; click through to YouTube if watching after the service time.
Easter Day (Divine Service)
Christ is risen—this fact informs all of our lives, for if God can raise Jesus from the dead, He can bring life to any situation; He can take away the fear of death. Live stream 9:00 AM April 12; click through to YouTube if watching after the service time.
Spring Congregation Meeting
A finance review, board reports and other mid-year business are on the agenda. Sunday, April 19, at 10:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall. Active members eighteen and older who have signed the constitution are eligible to vote. Child care will be provided.
Food and Clothing Bank
Volunteers serve those in need of food or clothing; we appreciate donations of non-perishable food and new or gently-used clothing and household items. Tuesdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Help Make Blankets for Missions
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Choir, Bell Choir and Band Rehearsals
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your voice to the choir, bell choir or band. Contact Tom Miles for more information and a rehearsal schedule.
Direct Your Thrivent Choice Dollars
Eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for the last quarter (or year) to Saint John's or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Join the Prayer Chain
Join the chain and commit to praying for our congregation members facing illness or hardship; messages are passed by phone from person to person or via email. To join, contact the church office.
Missing a Dish? It’s Probably in the Kitchen
Come downstairs and see if you’ve left behind a pan, dish or container after a recent potluck or event; we always seem to have quite a collection!
Open Arms Fundraisers
Pizza Palz cards are available in the Church Office. For just $11, you can purchase a card good for an Old Chicago pizza of up to $25 while supporting the preschool! Call or stop by the church office to purchase.
Direct a portion of your Amazon purchases through “Amazon Smile.” Set up giving and then update your bookmarks/favorites to Amazon to “smile.amazon.com” to give 0.5% of every Amazon purchase you make to Open Arms Christian Preschool. Go to smile.amazon.com/ch/84-0450786 to set up giving.
Thrivent Members Needed
If you are a Thrivent member and have not been involved in an Action Team project, please contact Jeannie or Tom in the church office for information on how to get involved. We have a lot of project ideas and want to put your Thrivent membership to work! Also: eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for last quarter to Saint John's, the Foundation, the Preschool or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!