- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 15 May 2019 15 May 2019
There's always something happening at Saint John's! Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities.
Church Yard Sale
Our annual Yard Sale allows the Heseders (Saint John's mission group) to turn your “stuff” into someone else's “treasure” while generating money for outreach missions at home and abroad. Friday, May 31, and Saturday, June 1 in the Large Fellowship Hall. If you can lend a hand with setup or with the sale, please sign up at the Welcome Center.
- Cookies needed! We will be holding a bake sale alongside the Yard Sale, and could use donations of cookies, brownies or bars. If you can help, sign up at the Welcome Center and plan to drop off your goodies by the evening of Thursday, May 30.
- Drop off donations on the stage in the Large Fellowship Hall starting May 26 or contact the church office to schedule a pick-up. We will not accept old TVs/monitors (flat screens are ok) or other bulky electronics.
- We could use donations of newspaper and boxes to pack items for customers.
Forty days after His resurrection, Jesus appeared to His disciples one last time to tell them to expect the coming Holy Spirit before ascending into heaven to take His heavenly throne. Sunday, June 2, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center.
Support Your Saint John’s Eagles Softball Team
It’s always great having a supportive crowd! Here’s this year’s schedule:
- June 2: 8:05 PM at Rolland Moore Park #2
- June 9: 8:05 PM at Lee Martinez Park East
- June 16: 5:20 PM at Lee Martinez Park East
- June 23: 7:10 PM at Fossil Creek Park West
- July 7: 5:20 PM at Fossil Creek Park West
- July 14: 6:15 PM at Fossil Creek Park West
- July 21: 6:15 PM at Fossil Creek Park West
- July 28: 7:10 PM at Fossil Creek Park West
The playoffs begin August 4 at Fossil Creek Park West and continue August 11 and 18, as long as we keep winning!
The church celebrates its birthday on Pentecost, recalling the drama of Acts, as the Spirit came to the disciples in rushing wind and tongues of flame and enabled them to go out and preach the Good News. Sunday, June 9, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center. It's traditional to wear red on Pentecost, as a symbol of the renewing fire of the Holy Spirit.
Lift Off with VBS 2019
At Miraculous Mission VBS, your children will learn about God’s great plan of salvation, from creation to the cross. It’s free, but pre-registration is appreciated—sign up your three-year-old through sixth grade children today, and invite your family and friends! Visit the table by the Welcome Center, call the church office (482-5316) or visit www.StJohnsFC.org to sign up. Monday, June 10, at 9:00 AM to Noon, June 10 through June 13 in . We can’t wait to see you there!
All men are invited to gather with their brothers in Christ to support and encourage (and pray for) one another in their God-given vocations. June 18 at 6:30 PM; watch the bulletin for the location.
Alpha Center Baby Bottle Fundraiser
On Mother’s Day we handed out empty baby bottles for you to fill with change (or cash, or checks) to support our community sexual and pregnancy resource center; if you missed it, you can pick up a bottle at the Welcome Center! Human Needs, at 12:00 AM in . Please return the bottles to the Welcome Center by Father’s Day (June 16).
Dedication of The Garden
We will dedicate The Garden on Sunday, June 30, after the worship service.
Help Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursday, at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Food and Clothing Bank
Volunteers serve those in need of food or clothing; we appreciate donations of non-perishable food and new or gently-used clothing and household items. Tuesday, at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Direct Your Thrivent Choice Dollars
Eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for the last quarter (or year) to Saint John's or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Join the Prayer Chain
Missing a Dish? It’s Probably in the Kitchen
Come downstairs and see if you’ve left behind a pan, dish or container after a recent potluck or event; we always seem to have quite a collection!
Open Arms Fundraisers
Pizza Palz cards are available in the Church Office. For just $11, you can purchase a card good for an Old Chicago pizza of up to $25 while supporting the preschool! Call or stop by the church office to purchase.
Direct a portion of your Amazon purchases through “Amazon Smile.” Set up giving and then update your bookmarks/favorites to Amazon to < smile.amazon.com > to give 0.5% of every Amazon purchase you make to Open Arms Christian Preschool. Go to < http://smile.amazon.com/ch/84-0450786 > to set up giving.
Thrivent Members Needed
If you are a Thrivent member and have not been involved in an Action Team project, please contact Jeannie or Tom in the church office for information on how to get involved. We have a lot of project ideas and want to put your Thrivent membership to work! Also: eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for last quarter to Saint John's, the Foundation, the Preschool or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!