- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 18 April 2019 18 April 2019
There's always something happening at Saint John's! Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities.
Rite of Confirmation and First Communion
We celebrate the Rite of Confirmation and receive catechumens Blake Bohlender, Emily Nettleton and Micah Robertson into full membership. Sunday, May 5, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center. A reception for the confirmands will follow the service in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Alpha Center Baby Bottle Fundraiser
On Mother’s Day (May 12) we will hand out empty baby bottles for you to fill with change (or cash, or checks) to support our community sexual and pregnancy resource center. Please return the bottles to the Welcome Center by Father’s Day (June 16).
Open Arms Christian Preschool Spring Program
The preschool classes will be showing off the songs and talents they’ve been practicing through the spring semester—come see the fun! Thursday, May 16, at 6:30 PM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
All men are invited to gather with their brothers in Christ to support and encourage (and pray for) one another in their God-given vocations. Tuesday, May 21, at 6:30 PM. Watch the bulletin for the location.
Preschool Graduation and Picnic
You are invited to come see our four- and five-year-old class graduate from preschool in a special ceremony and presentation, followed by a picnic lunch. Friday, May 24, at 10:30 AM and 2:30 PM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Church Office Closed
We will be closed Memorial Day, May 27. Normal hours resume May 28.
Heseder Yard Sale
Our annual Yard Sale allows the Heseders (Saint John's mission group) to turn your “stuff” into someone else's “treasure” while generating money for outreach missions at home and abroad. All day Friday and Saturday, May 31–June 1, on the front lawn and in the Large Fellowship Hall. If you can lend a hand with setup or with the sale, please sign up at the Welcome Center!
Food and Clothing Bank
Volunteers serve those in need of food or clothing; we appreciate donations of non-perishable food and new or gently-used clothing and household items. Tuesdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Help Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Direct Your Thrivent Choice Dollars
Eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for the last quarter (or year) to Saint John's or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Join the Prayer Chain
Missing a Dish? It’s Probably in the Kitchen
Come downstairs and see if you’ve left behind a pan, dish or container after a recent potluck or event; we always seem to have quite a collection!
Open Arms Fundraisers
Pizza Palz cards are available in the Church Office. For just $11, you can purchase a card good for an Old Chicago pizza of up to $25 while supporting the preschool! Call or stop by the church office to purchase.
Direct a portion of your Amazon purchases through “Amazon Smile.” Set up giving and then update your bookmarks/favorites to Amazon to < smile.amazon.com > to give 0.5% of every Amazon purchase you make to Open Arms Christian Preschool. Go to < http://smile.amazon.com/ch/84-0450786 > to set up giving.
Thrivent Members Needed
If you are a Thrivent member and have not been involved in an Action Team project, please contact Jeannie or Tom in the church office for information on how to get involved. We have a lot of project ideas and want to put your Thrivent membership to work! Also: eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for last quarter to Saint John's, the Foundation, the Preschool or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!