- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 18 February 2019 18 February 2019
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Early Childhood Parenting Class
All men are invited to gather with their brothers in Christ to support and encourage (and pray for) one another in their God-given vocations. Tuesday, March 19, at 6:30 PM.
Heseder Yard Sale
Our annual Yard Sale allows the Heseders (Saint John's mission group) to turn your “stuff” into someone else's “treasure” while generating money for outreach missions at home and abroad. All day Friday and Saturday, May 31–June 1 on the front lawn and in the Large Fellowship Hall. We will be looking for lots of help—there will be a volunteer signup sheet at the Welcome Center as the sale gets closer—and lots of donations! Drop off donations on the stage in the Large Fellowship Hall starting May 26 or contact the church office to schedule a pick-up. We will not accept old TVs/monitors (flat screens are ok) or other bulky electronics. We could also use donations of newspaper and boxes to pack items for customers.
Registration is Open
Please invite your family and friends with three- to five-year olds (three years old by September 15) to consider Open Arms Christian Preschool for next school year. More information and a registration form are available at the Welcome Center, or call Kandy Wise at 482-1357.
A Note from Karissa Calvo
I am the daughter of Chuck and Kathi Calvano. I wanted to thank Saint John's for the many prayers for my recovery from the propane explosion right before Christmas. When I was released from the hospital, my mom flew out to Virginia to take care of me, and kept me informed of the many church members who were praying for me and inquiring about my recovery. Many of you took care of my dad while he remained in Fort Collins, making sure that he had companionship and comfort while my mom was gone. I know, without a doubt, that the many continued prayers for my recovery made all the difference in my complete and speedy healing. My recovery within the first month alone was quite astounding and for all intents and purposes, I am fully healed.
My husband and I thank you, from the bottom of our hearts, for the many prayers dedicated to us. I am grateful that my parents are part of such a prayerful church family at Saint John's.
Opportunity to Serve in Tanzania
You can find and download a one-page description of this opportunity at www.globallutheranoutreach.com/blog/funke/newsletters. Eric and Linda would love to have potential new missionaries come out to visit them in Tanzania in the next few months. Global Lutheran Outreach can front the money for this trip. Then the future missionaries can begin fundraising and hopefully begin Swahili language school in Tanzania in the fall or winter of this year.
Food and Clothing Bank
Volunteers serve those in need of food or clothing; we are always in need of non-perishable food and new or gently-used clothing and household items. Tuesdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Help Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Choir, Bell Choir and Band Rehearsals
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your voice to the choir, bell choir or band. Contact Tom Miles for more information and a rehearsal schedule.
Direct Your Thrivent Choice Dollars
Eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for the last quarter (or year) to Saint John's or the organization of your choice. Dollars directed to Saint John’s or the Saint John’s Foundation will be used to help pay for the heating system (“boiler”) replacement project. Dollars directed to the preschool help with special projects like improving the classroom and playground and purchasing toys and other enrichment materials. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Join the Prayer Chain
Missing a Dish? It’s Probably in the Kitchen
Come downstairs and see if you’ve left behind a pan, dish or container after a recent potluck or event; we always seem to have quite a collection!
Open Arms Fundraisers
Pizza Palz cards are available in the Church Office. For just $11, you can purchase a card good for an Old Chicago pizza of up to $25 while supporting the preschool! Call or stop by the church office to purchase.
Direct a portion of your Amazon purchases through “Amazon Smile.” Set up giving and then update your bookmarks/favorites to Amazon to < smile.amazon.com > to give 0.5% of every Amazon purchase you make to Open Arms Christian Preschool. Go to < http://smile.amazon.com/ch/84-0450786 > to set up giving.
Thrivent Members Needed
If you are a Thrivent member and have not been involved in an Action Team project, please contact Jeannie or Tom in the church office for information on how to get involved. We have a lot of project ideas and want to put your Thrivent membership to work! Also: eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for last quarter to Saint John's, the Foundation, the Preschool or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!