- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 23 October 2018 23 October 2018
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
All Saints Sunday
Every year, the church sets aside a special day to remember the saints of the church not commemorated with special holidays. To Lutherans, who believe that all sinners are made God’s holy saints in the cleansing waters of Holy Baptism, All Saints Sunday is a celebration of the entire priesthood of believers, especially those whose funerals and memorials were held at Saint John’s in the preceding year. Sunday, November 4, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center.
Join a crew of service-minded Saint John’s members helping Serve 6.8, a local outreach ministry, pack Christmas packages—toys and other items—for local children in need. Saturday, November 3, 9:00 AM to Noon at Serve 6.8 (Southeast corner of Drake and Lemay). RSVP to the church office (482-5316) by October 29.
Church Cleanup Day
Bring rakes and anything else that could be used to cleanup leaves and tidy up the exterior of the church before winter. Saturday, November 3, at 8:00 AM. Meet in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Presentation by Eric and Linda Funke
Eric (grandson of Bill and Lola Funke) and Linda are missionaries in Tanzania, and will join us to speak about the work they have been doing in the African nation. Sunday, November 4, at 10:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Artisan Fair and Bazaar
Start your holiday shopping at Saint John’s Lutheran, where the work of thirty artists and craftspeople, including woodcrafts, pottery, jewelry, textiles and fine cuisine, will be available for sale, along with crafts our teams have collected from missions abroad. Friday, November 9, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and Saturday, November 10, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM in the Large and Small Fellowship Halls. Booth fees and the proceeds from the Heseder’s sales will go to the Heseder fund to support future mission work.
Fall Congregation Meeting
Elections and approval of the 2018 budget are on the agenda for the annual autumn meeting. Sunday, November 11, at 10:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall. A light breakfast will be served (free-will offering). Active members eighteen and older who have signed the constitution are eligible to vote. Child care will be provided.
Elderberries Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner
The Elderberries invite you to their free annual Pre-Thanksgiving meal of turkey and all the fixings; no need to RSVP or to bring anything but your appetite and the desire to fellowship with fellow Lutherans! Thursday, November 15, at Noon in the Large Fellowship Hall. In the spirit of thankfulness, please bring a non-perishable food item for Saint John’s Food and Clothing Bank; Special thanks to Thrivent Financial for its financial support.
CSU Football Gameday Parking
Support, encourage, pray—all men are invited to gather with their brothers in Christ to support and encourage (and pray for) one another in their God-given vocations. Tuesday, November 20, 6:30 PM at Ron Young’s home. Refreshments and dinner will be provided; RSVP appreciated.
We gather every year on the evening before Thanksgiving to reflect on the many blessings that God has given us and acknowledge the true source of our bounty. Wednesday, November 21, at 6:30 PM in the Worship Center. The offering from this service will go to support the work of LCMS Disaster Relief.
- The Board of Human Needs is asking all who are able to bring a bag of nonperishable food items to share with the needy in the Fort Collins community through Saint John’s Food and Clothing Bank. Please turn in your food donations at or before the Wednesday evening Thanksgiving service on November 21.
Christ the King
On the last Sunday of the church year, we look forward to Jesus' return in glory while celebrating His reign over a kingdom of love. Sunday, November 25, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center.
Christmas Decorating Event
Come enjoy a free meal and have some fun as we “deck the halls” of Saint John’s for Advent and Christmas. Sunday, November 25, at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Food and Clothing Bank
Volunteers serve those in need of food or clothing; we are always in need of non-perishable food and new or gently-used clothing and household items. Tuesday, at 9:00 to 11:30 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Help Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall.
Choir, Bell Choir and Band Rehearsals
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your voice to the choir, bell choir or band. Contact Tom Miles for more information and a rehearsal schedule.
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!