- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 21 August 2018 21 August 2018
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
2018 Concordia Publishing Bible Sale
Save up to 33% on select Bibles and companion books using the code YFL when ordering at Concordia Publishing House. See what’s on sale at CPH.org/biblesale, call 800-325-3040 or visit the church office for help.
Church Office Closed
We will be closed Labor Day. Normal hours resume Tuesday, September 4.
Christian Education Sunday
As Sunday School and confirmation classes resume, it is a good time to reflect on our study of God's word. We kick off the new season with a special celebration of Christian Education for students of all ages. Sunday, September 9.
Teacher and Staff Installation
Many thanks to our returning and new Sunday School teachers and staff; we appreciate the time and effort that you put into educating the children of the congregation!
This year’s Sunday volunteers are Jill Hudak, Department Coordinator; Sue Gardner, Lise Harwell, Wendy Nettleton, Coleen Nicholas and Jessica Stephens, Elementary; and Diana Fields, Chris Fields and Matthew Harwell, Middle School.
Our preschool staff is Kandy Wise (director), Lani Long (aide) and Jessica Stephens (aide).
This year we will host the church picnic here at Saint John’s, with lots of time for fellowship, good food and fun games. Sunday, September 9, at Noon on the Front Lawn. The Board of Fellowship will provide the main course, and invite attendees to bring a side or dessert.
Adult Catechesis Class
This ten-week course, taught by Pastor Nettleton, covers the basics of Christianity and the Lutheran faith; anyone interested in joining Saint John’s or looking for a “refresher” course is invited to attend. If you’re interested in attending, contact the church office to RSVP.
No Elderberries Third-Thursday Event in September
There will not be a Third-Thursday Elderberries event in September. Watch here and in the bulletin for information on future events!
Attic Cleaning Day
We’re looking for a group of people to help clean up the attic—the plan is to carry out trash, reorganize and label the various sections so we can get the storage space clean and keep it that way! Anyone interested in helping out, whether you’re more comfortable sorting, hauling or sweeping, will find something to do. Saturday, September 22, from 8:30 AM to Noon, starting in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Is There Good Reason to Believe that God Exists
Why do people believe in God? On what do most religions base their truth claims about God? Is Christianity any different? Dr. Adam Francisco, professor of history and chair of the History and Political Thought department at Concordia University, Irvine, California, will address these questions in this free presentation. Friday, September 28, at 7:00 PM in the Worship Center. A reception will follow.
Confessing the Faith in an Unbelieving World
St. Peter calls us to give a reason, a defense, for the hope that we have in Christ. How do Christians engage with modern skeptics? How do Christians give a witness to an unbelieving world? Join us for a one-day conference led by Dr. Adam Francisco, professor of history and chair of the History and Political Thought department at Concordia University, Irvine, California. Saturday, September 29, at 8:15 AM to 2:15 PM, registration begins at 8:00 AM in the Worship Center. Registration appreciated—please sign up by calling the church office (482-5316) by September 26; free ($10 lunch available).
Puerto Rico Mission Supply Collection
The seven people from Saint John’s who will be working in Puerto Rico October 13–20 will have an opportunity to provide supplies like building materials, toiletries, food, clothes and toys while they’re there. While we usually do a supply collection for our mission teams, this time we have been encouraged to instead collect money and gift cards so that the purchases can support the Puerto Rico economy. You can help by making a donation of cash (checks to Saint John’s Lutheran with “PR Supplies” in the memo line) or gift cards for Home Depot or Walmart.
The Garden Fundraising
Cards for financial commitments to this project, building a garden on the northwest side of the church, are available at the Welcome Center and in the pews. For more information on the project, be that details about the plan, more about the columbarium or to make a commitment to support this project, please contact the church office.
Food and Clothing Bank
Our volunteers serve those in need of food or clothing; we are always seeking donations of non-perishable food items, new or gently-used clothing and small household items. Tuesday, at 9:00 to 11:30 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Drop off donations in the basket by the Welcome Center.
Help Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Join us any Thursday!
Thrivent Members Needed
If you are a Thrivent member and have not been involved in an Action Team project, please contact Jeannie or Tom in the church office for information on how to get involved. We have a lot of project ideas and want to put your Thrivent membership to work!
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!