- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 14 June 2018 14 June 2018
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Thank You from the Funkes
Sometimes one may be overwhelmed by a word, a gift, or some “action of love.” We certainly have been so by the love demonstrated by the family of Saint John’s, which prompts this note.
For months, in the outpouring of love heaped on us through meals (Bill is a lousy cook), calls and visits, “love” and “family” took on new meanings. One definition of family, other than the obvious one, is “A group of people who are generally not blood relatives, but have common goals, interests and attitudes.” Another is “A collective body of persons who form under one head.” A moment’s thought shows both apply in describing the family of Saint John's. The first definition is very obvious when one considers this group with which we are fortunate to share membership. The second one is even more clear. The family of Saint John’s is certainly a close group under the leadership of one head, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. You can't improve on that!
Good friends, we truly thank God for your concern and help with gifts of meals and support. A special thanks to Nelly as the “leader of the project.” We take this means to thank all of you without risk of missing one of our “angels.” Our heartfelt thanks to you all, and God’s blessings to all the Saint John’s family.
—Lola and Bill Funke
Support Your Saint John’s Eagles Softball Team
It’s always great having a supportive crowd!
- Sunday, July 1: 9:00 PM at Fossil Creek Park, west field
- Sunday, July 15: 9:00 PM at Fossil Creek Park, west field
- Sunday, July 22: 6:15 PM at Lee Martinez Park, west field
- Sunday, July 29: 5:20 PM at Lee Martinez Park, west field
The playoffs are August 5 (at Fossil Creek Park, west field) and August 12 (at Lee Martinez, west field). We keep playing as long as we keep winning. Watch the bulletin for times!
Church Office Closed
We will be closed Wednesday, July 4, for the Independence Day holiday.
Colorado Rockies Faith Day
Watch the bulletin for information on how to sign up for this summer Rockies game (versus the Athletics), talk by players (Charlie Blackmon, Jon Gray and Ian Desmond) and concert by Passion. Sunday, July 29, at Coors Field. The game is at 1:10 PM with the concert to follow. We will carpool from the church.
Wolf Pack Visit to Saint John’s
LCMS Missionaries John and Jenn Wolf and their family will be visiting us during their furlough this summer. As the Africa region’s project manager, John provides oversight and support for projects and grants across the region, with a particular focus on mercy work. During the Adult Bible Study hour, John will give us an update on his work and ministry in Africa. Sunday, August 5, at 10:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Registration is Open
Please invite your family and friends with three- to five-year olds (three years old by September 15) to consider Open Arms Christian Preschool for next school year. More information and a registration form are available at the Welcome Center, or call Kandy Wise at 482-1357.
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!