- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 15 May 2018 15 May 2018
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Heseder Yard Sale
Our annual Yard Sale allows the Heseders (Saint John's mission group) to turn your “stuff” into someone else's “treasure” while generating money for outreach missions at home and abroad. All day Friday and Saturday, June 1–2, in the Large Fellowship Hall. If you can lend a hand with setup or with the sale, please sign up at the Welcome Center.
- Cookies needed! We are going to try to hold a bake sale alongside the Yard Sale, and could use donations of cookies, brownies or bars. If you can help, sign up at the Welcome Center and plan to drop off your gooddies by the evening of Thursday, May 31.
- Drop off donations on the stage in the Large Fellowship Hall starting May 28 or contact the church office to schedule a pick-up. We will not accept old TVs/monitors (flat screens are ok) or other bulky electronics.
- We could use donations of newspaper and boxes to pack items for customers.
Plunge into VBS 2018
At Splash Canyon VBS, your children will learn that God keeps His promises on life’s wild ride! They’ll explore Bible accounts where our faithful God promises to be with us and gives us life and hope through Jesus, our Savior. It’s free, but pre-registration is appreciated—sign up your three-year-old through sixth grade children today, and invite your family and friends! Visit the table by the Welcome Center, call the church office (482-5316) or visit www.StJohnsFC.org to sign up. 9:00 AM to Noon, June 4 through June 7. We can’t wait to see you there!
Be Part of Splash Canyon VBS, and help us share the message of our faithful God who keeps His promises! We have many ways to be involved to suit your interests and schedule. Sign up today at the registration table! We also have a big list of VBS donation needs. Join us for an exciting VBS this summer!
Support Your Saint John’s Eagles Softball Team
It’s always great having a supportive crowd! If you’re interested in playing, contact Tom Miles in the church office. Here’s the season schedule:
Sunday, June 3: 7:10 PM at Lee Martinez Park, west field.
Sunday, June 10: 5:20 PM at Lee Martinez Park, west field.
Sunday, June 17: 8:05 PM at Lee Martinez Park, west field.
Sunday, June 24: 5:20 PM at Fossil Creek Park, west field.
Sunday, July 1: 9:00 PM at Fossil Creek Park, west field.
Sunday, July 15: 9:00 PM at Fossil Creek Park, west field.
Sunday, July 22: 6:15 PM at Fossil Creek Park, west field.
Watch the bulletin for last-minute updates and information on the playoffs in late July.
Alpha Center Baby Bottle Fundraiser
On Mother’s Day we handed out empty baby bottles for you to fill with change (or cash, or checks) to support our community sexual and pregnancy resource center; if you missed it, you can pick up a bottle at the Welcome Center! Please return the bottles to the Welcome Center by Father’s Day (June 17).
Wolf Pack Visit to Saint John’s
LCMS Missionaries John and Jenn Wolf and their family will be visiting us during their furlough this summer. As the Africa region’s project manager, John provides oversight and support for projects and grants across the region, with a particular focus on mercy work. During the Adult Bible Study hour, John will give us an update on his work and ministry in Africa. Sunday, August 5, at 10:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Registration is Open
Please invite your family and friends with three- to five-year olds (three years old by September 15) to consider Open Arms Christian Preschool for the 2017–2018 school year. More information and a registration form are available at the Welcome Center, or call Kandy Wise at 482-1357.
No Third THursday Events Through Summer
There will be no Elderberries Third Thursday potlucks in June, July or August. Plan to join us when we resume in September, and keep an eye out for details on the August Rockies trip!
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!