- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 13 April 2018 13 April 2018
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
First Sunday “Eat and Greet” Potluck
Bring a dish to share and stick around after the Bible Study Hour to enjoy good food and fellowship at this picnic lunch (the last of the season) hosted by the Board of Fellowship. Sunday, May 6, at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Forty days after His resurrection, Jesus appeared to His disciples one last time to tell them to expect the coming Holy Spirit before ascending into heaven to take His heavenly throne. Sunday, May 13, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center.
Support Your Saint John’s Eagles Softball Team
It’s always great having a supportive crowd! The season begins Sunday, May 13. Watch the bulletin for details on the time and location of each Sunday game.
Preschool Spring Program
The preschool classes will be showing off the songs and talents they’ve been practicing through the spring semester—come see the fun! Thursday, May 17, at 6:30 PM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Catechism Trivia Sunday
How well do you know your Catechism? In game show fashion, participants of our Adult Bible Study will break up into teams to answer questions from the Bible and Small Catechism. As part of their “final exam,” second year catechumens preparing for the Rite of Confirmation will lead and be the spokesperson for each team. Sunday, May 13, at 10:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
The church celebrates its birthday on Pentecost, recalling the drama of Acts, as the Spirit came to the disciples in rushing wind and tongues of flame and enabled them to go out and preach the Good News. Sunday, May 20, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center. It's traditional to wear red on Pentecost, as a symbol of the renewing fire of the Holy Spirit.
Rite of Confirmation and First Communion
We celebrate the Rite of Confirmation and receive catechumens into full membership. Sunday, May 20, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center. A reception in the Large Fellowship Hall will follow the service.
Preschool Graduation and Picnic
You are invited to come see our four- and five-year-old class graduate from preschool in a special ceremony and presentation, followed by a picnic lunch. Friday, May 25, at 11:00 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Church Office Closed
We will be closed Memorial Day. Normal hours resume Tuesday, May 29.
Spring Yard Sale
Our annual Yard Sale allows the Heseders (Saint John's mission group) to turn your “stuff” into someone else's “treasure” while generating money for outreach missions at home and abroad. All day Friday and Saturday, June 1–2, in the Large Fellowship Hall. If you can lend a hand with setup or with the sale, please sign up at the Welcome Center.
- Drop off donations on the stage in the Large Fellowship Hall starting May 27 or contact the church office to schedule a pick-up.
- Note: we will not be accepting old CRT TVs and computer monitors (flat screen monitors and TVs are welcome) or other large electronics.
- Finally: we could use newspaper and boxes to pack items for customers. If you could save yours for us and deliver them to the church, we’d appreciate the help!
Register Now for Mighty Fortress Vacation Bible School
Registration is open for children age three through sixth grade who want to come along with us as we sing fun songs, do crazy crafts, eat yummy snacks, play awesome games and learn about Jesus, our champion who has won the victory! Monday, June 4, through Thursday, June 7. Invite your friends and family—we can’t wait to see you there!
- Be a part of this year’s VBS, whether you can volunteer (full- or part-time, we have many ways to help to suit your schedule and interests) or help us fill our list of VBS needs! Visit the registration table by the Welcome Center to find out how you can help be a part of this summer’s exciting VBS!
- Registration forms available after the service at the table by the Welcome Center or at www.StJohnsFC.org.
- Registration is free; early registration is appreciated!
Registration is Open
Please invite your family and friends with three- to five-year olds (three years old by September 15) to consider Open Arms Christian Preschool for the 2017–2018 school year. More information and a registration form are available at the Welcome Center, or call Kandy Wise at 482-1357.
Help Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to come help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursday, at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Please join us any Thursday.
Choir, Bell Choir and Band Rehearsals
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your voice to the choir, bell choir or band—we're always seeking new musicians, experienced or not, interested in lending their talents to help lead worship at Saint John's. Thursdays; Choir meets at 5:30 PM in the Music Room; Bell Choir meets at 6:30 PM in Room 302; Band meets at 7:30 PM in the Worship Center. Contact Tom Miles for more details or with questions.
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!