- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 17 January 2018 17 January 2018
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Early Registration is Open (Current Students and Saint John's Members Only Until January 26)
Please invite your family and friends with three- to five-year olds (three years old by September 15) to consider Open Arms Christian Preschool for the 2017–2018 school year. More information and a registration form are available at the Welcome Center, or call Kandy Wise at 482-1357.
First Sunday “Eat and Greet” Potluck
Bring a dish to share and stick around after the Bible Study Hour to enjoy good food and fellowship at this picnic lunch hosted by the Board of Fellowship. Sunday, February 4, at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Open Arms Open House
Anyone interested in learning more about Open Arms Christian Preschool is invited to come meet director Kandy Wise, our teacher aides and current parents at our upcoming Open House. Thursday, February 8, at 5:30 to 7:30 PM in Preschool Classroom. Children are encouraged to come along and play!
Transfiguration of Our Lord
In the Transfiguration, Jesus is revealed to His disciples as the Son of God. It is the culmination of the season of Epiphany, in which the character of Jesus is revealed to us in numerous ways. Now, just before the beginning of Lent, we see Jesus in His glory, “as bright as a flash of lightning,” a timely reminder that the man who walks the path to the cross is at the same time Almighty God, sacrificing Himself for us. Sunday, February 11, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center.
We begin the holy season of Lent by reflecting on our sin and mortality, but also rejoicing in our hope: that Jesus, our Savior, suffered and died to rescue us from sin and save us from the finality of death. Wednesday, February 14; 11:00 AM and 6:30 PM services, meals at Noon and 5:45 PM.
Feed My Starving Children Volunteer Event
Sign up at the Welcome Center to join the Saint John’s group that will be assembling packages of food to be sent to starving children around the world—or donate to the cause! Saturday, February 17, at 2:00 to 4:00 PM. Meet at church to carpool to The Ranch. Donations should be made to Saint John’s with a note that they are for “Feed My Starving Children.”
Midweek Lent Services
Lent is a season of confession and reflection, and each Wednesday we gather to share prayer and meditation on the Word. Wednesday, February 21; 11:00 AM and 5:45 PM services, meals at Noon and 6:30 PM.
Help Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to come help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Please join us any Thursday.
Choir, Bell Choir and Band Rehearsals
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your voice to the choir, bell choir or band—we're always seeking new musicians, experienced or not, interested in lending their talents to help lead worship at Saint John's. Thursdays: Choir meets at 5:30 PM in the Music Room; Bell Choir meets at 6:30 PM in Room 302; Band meets at 7:30 PM in the Worship Center. Contact Tom Miles for more details or with questions.
This Year’s Council
This year, Dale Walters is serving as president, Don Gibbons as vice-president, Sam Gardner as secretary and Nancy Behm as treasurer. Jim Bernecker, Stephen Maffett and Kimberly Pepmiller join Chuck Calvano, June Donaldson, Eric Gardner, Sue Gardner, Zach Stephens and Grant Wolf on Council. Many thanks to Bruce Bachman, Jo Fredin, Sharon Gibbons and Joel Sanford, whose terms were complete at the end of the year.
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the late-January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!