- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 04 January 2017 04 January 2017
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Installation of Church Council and Lay Ministers
At the Epiphany Service on January 8, we installed our 2017 Church Council and Lay Ministers. Our thanks to these dedicated people and to those who served in 2016.
- Church Council Officers: Wil Shimoda (President), Bruce Bachman (Vice-President), Nancy Behm (Treasurer) and Sam Gardner (Secretary).
- Church Council “At-Large” Members: Chuck Calvano, June Donaldson, Jo Fredin, Eric Gardner, Sue Gardner, Sharon Gibbons, Joel Sanford, Zach Stephens, Grant Wolf.
- Lay Ministers: Barb Faucett, Trudi Geilenkirchen, RoxAnn Karkhoff-Schweizer, Arlene Knox, Joel Sanford, Nelly Sanford, Kevin Seiler, Anita Walters, Dale Walters, Ron Young.
Help Needed to Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to come help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursdays at 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Please join us!
Choir, Bell Choir and Band Rehearsals
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your voice to the choir, bell choir or band—we're always seeking new musicians, experienced or not, interested in lending their talents to help lead worship at Saint John's. Thursdays; Choir meets at 5:30 PM in the Music Room; Bell Choir meets at 6:30 PM in Room 302; Band meets at 7:30 PM in the Worship Center. Contact Tom Miles for more details or with questions.
Third Thursday Potluck and Presentation
Come share lunch and a presentation by The Conversation Project that will give you good tools to have discussions with your loved ones about your end-of-life care. Thursday, January 19, at 12:00 PM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Please bring a dish to share.
First Sunday “Eat and Greet” Potluck
Bring a dish to share and stick around after the Bible Study Hour to enjoy good food and fellowship at this picnic lunch hosted by the Board of Fellowship. Sunday, February 5, at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Open Arms Open House
Anyone interested in learning more about Open Arms Christian Preschool is invited to come meet director Kandy Wise, aids Sarah McHugh and Jean DeLaney and current parents at our upcoming Open House. Thursday, February 9, at 5:30 to 7:30 PM in the Preschool Classroom. Children are encouraged to come along and play!
Third Thursday Potluck and Movie
Join us at the next Elderberries potluck/program, where we will be enjoying the 1953 black and white movie “Martin Luther.” Thursday, February 16, at Noon in the Small Fellowship Hall. Please bring a dish to share.
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the Late January/February issue, published January 15 (articles due by January 1). The cover theme is “Love” (unless Lent begins early).
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/Early January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!