- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 02 December 2016 02 December 2016
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Mission Guild (Lutheran Women in Mission) Meeting
It’s our annual Christmas party! Tuesday, December 6, at 7:00 PM in the Large Fellowship Hall. Ladies, please remember to bring your Red Stocking, a Christmas goody for dessert and a gift for your secret sister.
ChristLife at Theology on Tap
ChristLife Christmas Party
ChristLife Caroling with Peace With Christ
Youth Christmas Caroling
All middle and high school youth and their friends are invited to come share Christmas joy with some of our homebound members. Sunday, December 18, at 4:00 PM. We’ll meet at church.
Church Office Closed
We will be closed Friday, December 23, and Monday, December 26, in observance of Christmas, and Monday, January 2, in observance of New Year’s Day. Normal office hours December 27–30 and from January 3.
Epiphany Sunday marks the end of the Christmas season, so it’s time for us to gather to take down the decorations of the season—but don’t worry: we get to enjoy each others’ company at the Eat and Greet potluck lunch, and many hands mean the work goes very quickly! Sunday, January 8, at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
2016 Offerings Cutoff December 31
A reminder that offerings given later than December 31 must be recorded to 2017; they cannot be credited to your 2016 giving.
Food and Clothing Bank
Our volunteers serve those in need of food or clothing; we are always seeking donations of non-perishable food items, new or gently-used clothing and small household items to stock the shelves. Tuesdays, 9:00 to 11:30 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Drop off donations in the basket by the Welcome Center.
Help Needed to Make Blankets for LWR
Anyone with sewing skills is invited to come help make blankets and quilts for Lutheran World Relief and other community and international needs. Thursdays, 9:00 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Please join us!
Choir, Bell Choir and Band Rehearsals
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your voice to the choir, bell choir or band—we're always seeking new musicians, experienced or not, interested in lending their talents to help lead worship at Saint John's. Thursdays: Choir meets at 5:30 PM in the Music Room; Bell Choir meets at 6:30 PM in Room 302; Band meets at 7:30 PM in the Worship Center. Contact Tom Miles for more details or with questions.
At the November congregation meeting, Wil Shimoda was elected President, Nancy Behm was reelected Treasurer, Sue Gardner was reelected to Council and Chuck Calvano and Grant Wolf were elected to Council. Many thanks to Ron Young (President), RoxAnn Karkhoff-Schwezier and Tim Maxwell, whose terms will be complete at the end of the year.
2017 Offering Envelopes Available
Members, pick up your envelopes at the table by the Welcome Center. If your envelopes are missing, please notify the church office.
Subscribe to “The Lutheran Witness”
The magazine of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (including updates from the churches of the Rocky Mountain District) is just $22.01 per year: start your subscription this year! You will find the signup sheet at the Welcome Center.
2017 Chancel Flower Calendar Sign-Up
Recognize a loved one or remember a special occasion with flowers on the altar—the flowers are $30 for the week, and are yours to take home after the worship service. Sign up at the Welcome Center.
Concordia Book Club
Concordia Publishing House is promoting four new books at a 20% discount through December; check out the display copies at the table by the Welcome Center. To order, sign up on the sheet by the display copies or call Ruth Besel (484-0221).
- Being Lutheran: a paperback that helps new or long-time Lutherans understand that it is about following Jesus.
- Celebrating the Saints: Historical sketches and devotional writings according to the liturgical calendar, to help the reader appreciate how God has sustained the faithful for generations.
- Living Life, Living Faith: Collection of 52 devotions by a father-son duo, including a short story example and scriptural application.
- Sacred Songs of Christmas: Beautifully illustrated anthology of songs, poems, scripture and artwork to help the family prepare to celebrate Christ’s birth.
Saint John’s Giving Tree
The tree is up by the Welcome Center; the opportunities for giving include gifts for needy families at Laurel Elementary, gift cards for Alpha Center and visitation ornaments for the elderly homebound of Saint John’s. Please come take an ornament and return corresponding gifts or cards by Sunday, December 18.
Lutheran Family Services Coat Drive
Thank you for your new and gently used winter coat donations for Lutheran Family Services! If you would still like to bring in a coat, please drop it off early this week at the church office.
Pizza Palz Cards Available in the Church Office
For just $11, you can purchase a card good for an Old Chicago pizza of up to $22 while supporting the preschool! Call or stop by the church office to purchase.
Give to Open Arms through “Amazon Smile”
Amazon shoppers, log in to your Amazon account and then visit < smile.amazon.com > to give 0.5% of every Amazon purchase you make to Open Arms Christian Preschool. Search for “Open Arms Christian Preschool, Fort Collins” or just go straight to < http://smile.amazon.com/ch/84-0450786 > to set up giving.
Worship Stream Available
If you are sick, stuck at home or on vacation, you can still join Saint John's worship services via the internet! Go to www.StJohnsFC.org and click the “Worship Stream” link to watch and listen to the service live.
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the February issue, published February 1 (articles due by January 16). The cover theme is “Love” unless Lent begins early.
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!