- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 25 October 2016 25 October 2016
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Open Arms Christian Preschool Bakesale
The preschool parents will be providing delicious snacks for the fellowship time and a few special items to take home. Sunday, November 6, at 10:00 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall. The freewill offerings and a gift from Thrivent Financial will be used to support our preschool ministry.
Artisan Fair and Bazaar
Start your holiday shopping at Saint John’s Lutheran, where the work of 25 artists and craftspeople, including woodcrafts, pottery, jewelry, textiles and fine cuisine, will be available for sale, along with crafts our teams have collected from Haiti, Peru and Tanzania. Friday, November 11, at Friday, November 11, 9:00 Am to 4:00 PM, and Saturday, November 12, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM in Large and Small Fellowship Halls.
The money raised—including booth fees and the proceeds from the Heseder’s booth, silent auction and bake sale—will go to the Heseder fund to support future mission work.
Visitors will enjoy live music, door prizes, a bake sale and a silent auction. Concessions (breakfast and lunch) will be available all day.
Elderberries Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner
The Elderberries invite you to their free annual Pre-Thanksgiving meal of turkey and all the fixings; no need to RSVP or to bring anything but your appetite and the desire to fellowship with fellow Lutherans! Thursday, November 17, at Noon in the Large Fellowship Hall.
In the spirit of thankfulness, please bring a non-perishable food item for Saint John’s Food and Clothing Bank.
Fall Congregation Meeting
Elections and approval of the 2016 budget are on the agenda for the annual autumn meeting. Sunday, November 20, at 10:20 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall. A light breakfast will be served (free-will offering).
Active members who are eighteen or older and have signed the constitution are eligible to vote. Child care will be provided.
Christmas Decorating Event
Come enjoy a free meal and have some fun as we “deck the halls” of Saint John’s for Advent and Christmas. Sunday, November 27, at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Midweek Advent Services
This year’s series begins Wednesday, November 30. 11:00 AM and 6:30 PM services.
Why the Reformation? Is it Still Relevant?
The Rev Dr Rod Rosenbladt—Professor Emeritus of Systematic Theology and Apologetics, Concordia University, Irvine, California; Fellow of the 1517 Legacy Project; co-host of the White Horse Inn podcast—will speak on the ongoing relevance of the Protestant Reformation in anticipation of the 500th anniversary (2017). Thursday, November 3, at 7:00 PM in the Worship Center. A reception in the Large Fellowship Hall will follow the talk.
Need a ride? Please sign up at the Welcome Center or contact the church office. We have volunteer drivers who will be making pickups that night.
Church Cleanup Day
The Trustees are looking for some help cleaning up the church grounds before the snow flies! Saturday, November 5, at 8:00 AM. Meet in the Large Fellowship Hall. Please bring yard tools—especially rakes!
First Sunday “Eat and Greet” Potluck
Bring a dish to share and stick around after the Bible Study Hour to enjoy good food and fellowship at this picnic lunch hosted by the Board of Fellowship. November 6 at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Choir, Bell Choir and Band Rehearsals
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your voice to the choir, bell choir or band—we're always seeking new musicians, experienced or not, interested in lending their talents to help lead worship at Saint John's. Thursdays; Choir meets at 5:30 PM in the Worship Center; Bell Choir meets at 6:30 PM in Room 302; Band meets at 7:30 PM in the Worship Center. Contact Tom Miles for more details or with questions.
Men's Night BBQ and Fellowship
All men are invited to enjoy some tasty BBQ and hear Dr. Scott Keith (1517 the Legacy Project) speak his words of freedom on being a gracious husband, father and mentor from his book “Being Dad: A Picture of God’s Grace.” Friday, November 4, at 6:00 PM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
In light of culture’s attack on men generally and fathers specifically, Dr. Keith’s encouragement is something you will not want to miss!
Christlife Campus Ministry Laser Tag Time
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the February issue, published February 1 (articles due by January 16). The cover theme is “Love” unless Lent begins early.
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!