- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 20 May 2016 20 May 2016
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Spring Yard Sale
Our annual Yard Sale allows the Heseders (Saint John's mission group) to turn your “stuff” into someone else's “treasure” while generating money for outreach missions at home and abroad. All day Friday and Saturday, June 3–4, in the Large Fellowship Hall and front lawn. If you can lend a hand with setup or with the sale, please sign up at the Welcome Center.
Drop off donations on the stage in the Large Fellowship Hall starting May 29 or contact the church office to schedule a pick-up. Note: we will not be accepting old CRT TVs and computer monitors (flat screen monitors and TVs are welcome).
We could use newspaper and boxes to pack items for customers. If you could save yours for us and deliver them to the church, we’d appreciate the help!
Presentation on Tanzania Medical Mission
Kimberly Pepmiller will talk about her recent work with the LCMS’ Mercy Medical Mission Team in Tanzania. Sunday, June 5, at 10:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
LCMS Rocky Mountain District Forum
All congregation members are invited to participate in this review and discussion of the workbook for the summer’s Synodical Convention; come with your questions and comments about synodical issues to share with our delegates to the convention. Sunday, June 5, 2:00 PM at Mount Olive (Loveland). The convention workbook can be downloaded at < www.lcms.org/convention/downloads >.
“A Summer Kind of Wonderful” Picnic
Mission Guild would like all ladies of the congregation to join us for our annual potluck picnic, an evening of fellowship with our sister Missouri Synod church ladies! Tuesday, June 7, at 6:00 PM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Please bring a dish to share; drinks and tableware will be provided.
Ordination of Nikolai Gibbons
With praise and thanksgiving to the Lord of the harvest, we invite you to join us for the Ordination of Nikolai James Gibbons into the Office of the Holy Ministry. Sunday, June 12, at 2:00 PM in the Worship Center. A reception will follow the worship service.
Watoto Choir Concert
Saint John’s is hosting the Watoto Children’s Choir from Uganda for a one-night performance of their production “Oh, What Love.” You won’t want to miss this amazing show! Tuesday, June 14, at 6:30 PM in the Worship Center.
The show is free, but an offering will be collected for the choir and orphanage. If you’d like to come early to meet the children and leaders, you may join us for dinner at 5:30 PM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
We need four more host families! If you can house two children and one adult for one night (Tuesday, June 14), please sign up at the Welcome center.
Third Thursday Potluck and Games
After our "Third Thursday" Potluck on June 16, we will have an afternoon of fun playing Zilch and Mexican Train dominos. Thursday, June 16, at 12:00 PM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Please join us!
Alpha Center Baby Bottle Fundraiser
On Mother’s Day we handed out empty baby bottles for you to fill with change (or cash, or checks) to support our community sexual and pregnancy resource center—extra bottles are available at the Welcome Center! Please return the bottles to the Welcome Center by Father’s Day (June 19).
The Board of Worship will celebrate Father's Day by handing out special bookmarks to all men at the doors after the worship service.
Register Now for Barnyard Roundup Vacation Bible School
Registration is open for children age three through sixth grade who want to come along with us as we sing fun songs, do crazy crafts, eat yummy snacks, play awesome games and learn about Jesus, our Savior who gathers us together! Monday, June 20, through Thursday, June 23, 9:00 AM to Noon. Invite your friends and family—we can’t wait to see you there!
Registration forms available after the service, at the table by the Welcome Center or at www.StJohnsFC.org. Registration is free; early registration is appreciated!
Barnyard Roundup VBS Volunteers
Be a part of this year’s VBS, whether you can volunteer (full- or part-time, we have many ways to help to suit your schedule and interests) or help us fill our Barnyard Bucket List of VBS needs! Visit the registration table by the Welcome Center to find out how you can help be a part of this summer’s exciting VBS!
Colorado Rockies Faith Day
Sign up at the Welcome Center today for this summer Rockies game (versus the Marlins) and concert by David Crowder. Sunday, August 7. Game at 2:10 PM, concert follows. We will carpool from the church.
Elderberries Rockies Game
Join the Elderberries to see the Rockies play the Dodgers. Wednesday, August 31. Carpool leaves Saint John’s at 10:30 AM for the 1:00 PM game.
Come cheer the team on!
- June 5, 8:05 PM, Lee Martinez Park, East Field
- June 12, 9:00 PM, Lee Martinez Park, East Field
- June 19, 6:15 PM, Fossil Creek Park, West Field
- June 26, 6:15 PM, Fossil Creek Park, West Field
- July 10, 8:05 PM, Fossil Creek Park, West Field
- July 17, 4:25 PM, Fossil Creek Park, West Field
- July 24, 7:10 PM, Lee Martinez Park, West Field
Please contact Tom Miles in the church office if you’re interested in playing!
Concordia Book Club Deals
Concordia Publishing House is offering 20% off four great books through the end of June. To get a book, add your order to the sheet by the display copies across from the Welcome Center.
- The Executioner’s Redemption. The story of a young man who took a job at a prison to earn money for college, participated in brutal violence but then found faith and comfort in the light of God’s Word.
- Afraid: Demon Possession and Spiritual Warfare in America. Describes real events of demonic encounters in our modern age.
- Raising Godly Girls. A conversational book for Christian mothers of daughters offering encouragement on how to defend against a culture that promotes harmful attitudes.
- Noah and the Animals. A book young children will enjoy, featuring beautiful artwork and heavy, easily-handled pages."
Wyatt Poole Selling Coffee for School Trip to Guatemala
Wyatt Poole, a ninth grader at Poudre High School, will be selling Guatemalan coffee to help raise money for a school trip to Guatemala to develop his leadership and Spanish language skills in the Global Leaders program. Please find Wyatt or his mom, Cheryl, if you’re interested in providing him support for this servant trip.
Registration is Open
Please invite your family and friends with three- to five-year olds (three years old by September 15) to consider Open Arms Christian Preschool for the 2016–2017 school year. More information and a registration form are available at www.OpenArmsFC.org, or call Kandy Wise at 482-1357.
Pizza Palz Cards Available in the Church Office
For just $11 your can purchase a card good for an Old Chicago pizza of up to $22 while supporting the preschool! Call or stop by the church office to purchase.
Give to Open Arms Through “Amazon Smile”
Amazon shoppers, log in to your Amazon account and then visit < smile.amazon.com > to give 0.5% of every Amazon purchase you make to Open Arms Christian Preschool via Saint John's Lutheran. Search for “Open Arms Christian Preschool, Fort Collins” to set up giving.
Worship Stream Available
If you are sick, stuck at home or on vacation, you can still join Saint John's worship services via the internet! Go to www.StJohnsFC.org and click the “Worship Stream” link to watch and listen to the service live.
Altar Guild Seeking Milk Bottles
We could use a fresh supply of paper or plastic ½ gallon milk or juice cartons. Please drop off your empty clean cartons at the Welcome Center. Thank you!
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the February issue, published February 1 (articles due by January 16). The cover theme is “Love” unless “Lent” begins early.
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!