- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 27 April 2016 27 April 2016
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Food and Clothing Bank
Our volunteers serve those in need of food or clothing; we are always seeking donations of non-perishable food items, new or gently-used clothing and small household items to stock the shelves. Tuesdays from 9:00 to 11:30 AM in the Small Fellowship Hall. Drop off donations in the basket by the Welcome Center.
First Sunday “Eat and Greet” Potluck
Bring a dish to share and stick around after the Bible Study Hour to enjoy good food and fellowship at this picnic lunch hosted by the Board of Fellowship. Sunday, May 1, at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Mission Guild (Lutheran Women in Mission) Meeting
All ladies of the congregation are invited to come for Bible study, a little business and refreshments. Tuesday, May 3, at 7:00 PM in Room 301.
Forty days after His resurrection, Jesus appeared to His disciples one last time to tell them to expect the coming Holy Spirit before ascending into heaven to take His heavenly throne. Sunday, May 1, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center.
The church celebrates its birthday on Pentecost, recalling the drama of Acts, as the Spirit came to the disciples in rushing wind and tongues of flame and enabled them to go out and preach the Good News. Sunday, May 15, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center. It's traditional to wear red on Pentecost, as a symbol of the renewing fire of the Holy Spirit.
Third Thursday Potluck and Presentation
The program will be a presentation by Kathy Tripcony from Redeemer Lutheran on comfort dogs and how they were used to help after the Oregon college shooting. Thursday, May 19, at Noon in the Large Fellowship Hall. Please bring a dish to share!
Spring Yard Sale
Our annual Yard Sale allows the Heseders (Saint John's mission group) to turn your “stuff” into someone else's “treasure” while generating money for outreach missions at home and abroad. All day Friday and Saturday, June 3–4 in the Large Fellowship Hall. If you can lend a hand with setup or with the sale, please speak to Del or Jo Fredin.
Drop off donations on the stage in the Large Fellowship Hall or contact the church office to schedule a pick-up. Note: we will not be accepting old CRT TVs and computer monitors (flat screen monitors and TVs are welcome).
Vacation Bible School
This summer’s “farm-tastic” VBS is a Barnyard Roundup for all ages where we learn how Jesus graciously gathers us together to be with Him and His abundant provision and saving protection, now and forever. Save the dates: June 20–23. Registration coming soon!
Colorado Rockies Faith Day
Sign up at the Welcome Center today for this summer Rockies game (versus the Marlins) and concert by David Crowder. Sunday, August 7. The game is at 2:10 PM, the concert follows. We will carpool from the church.
Concordia Book Club Deals
Concordia Publishing House is offering 20% off four great books through the end of June. To get a book, add your order to the sheet by the display copies across from the Welcome Center.
- The Executioner’s Redemption. The story of a young man who took a job at a prison to earn money for college, participated in brutal violence but then found faith and comfort in the light of God’s Word.
- Afraid: Demon Possession and Spiritual Warfare in America. Describes real events of demonic encounters in our modern age.
- Raising Godly Girls. A conversational book for Christian mothers of daughters offering encouragement on how to defend against a culture that promotes harmful attitudes.
- Noah and the Animals. A book young children will enjoy, featuring beautiful artwork and heavy, easily-handled pages.
Seeking Softball Players
Wyatt Poole Selling Coffee for School Trip to Guatemala
Wyatt Poole, a ninth grader at Poudre High School, will be selling Guatemalan coffee to help raise money for a school trip to Guatemala to develop his leadership and Spanish language skills in the Global Leaders program. Please find Wyatt or his mom, Cheryl, if you’re interested in providing him support for this servant trip.
Registration is Open
Please invite your family and friends with three- to five-year olds (three years old by September 15) to consider Open Arms Christian Preschool for the 2016–2017 school year. More information and a registration form are available at www.OpenArmsFC.org, or call Kandy Wise at 482-1357.
Direct Your Thrivent Choice Dollars
Eligible members of Thrivent Financial, don't forget to direct your Choice Dollars for last quarter to Saint John's or the organization of your choice. Stop by the Welcome Center for a form, call Thrivent or visit www.Thrivent.com to make sure that this money doesn't just disappear!
Worship Stream Available
If you are sick, stuck at home or on vacation, you can still join Saint John's worship services via the internet! Go to www.StJohnsFC.org and click the “Worship Stream” link to watch and listen to the service live.
Church Office Closed
We will be closed Memorial Day (Monday, May 30). Normal hours resume Tuesday, May 31.
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- The first issue of the year is the February issue, published February 1 (articles due by January 16). The cover theme is “Love” unless “Lent” begins early.
- The second issue of the year is the March issue, published March 1 (articles due by February 16). Cover theme is “Lent” unless Easter is in March.
- The April issue is published April 1 (articles due by March 16). The cover theme is “Easter” (if Easter is in March, the theme will be “Spring”).
- We publish the May issue on May 1 (articles due by April 16). The cover theme is “Pentecost.”
- The June issue comes out June 1 (articles due by May 16). The cover theme is “Missions.”
- For the late summer, we run a combo July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16) with a cover theme of “Summer.”
- The September issue is published September 1 (articles due by August 16). It’s back-to-school time, so the cover theme is “Christian Education.”
- We publish the October issue October 1 (articles due by September 16). The cover theme is “Reformation.”
- The November issue covers the end of the ordinary church year and the beginning of Advent. It is published November 1 (articles due by October 16). The cover theme is “Thanksgiving.”
- The December/January issue is the last issue of the year, and covers Christmas celebrations and the new year. It is published December 1 (articles due by November 16). The cover theme is “Christmas.”
We’re always interested in using members’ photography for our newsletter covers. Please submit any picture you think would fit these themes!