- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 07 October 2015 07 October 2015
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Daylight Savings Ends
Remember that it’s time to “fall back” Saturday night/Sunday morning, November 1.
All Saints Sunday
To Lutherans, who believe that all sinners are made God’s holy saints in the cleansing waters of Holy Baptism, All Saints Sunday is a celebration of the entire priesthood of believers, especially those whose funerals and memorials were held at Saint John’s in the preceding year. Sunday, November 1, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center.
First Sunday “Eat and Greet” Potluck
Bring a dish to share and stick around after the Bible Study Hour to enjoy good food and fellowship at this picnic lunch hosted by the Board of Fellowship. Sunday, November 1, at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
Presentation by LWML Northern Zone President at Next Mission Guild Meeting
Kim Goetsch, LWML Northern Zone President, will share her experience at the June National LWML Convention in Des Moines, Iowa; we will also have elections of Secretary and Treasure and a short business meeting. Tuesday, November 3, at 7:00 PM in Room 301. All women of the church are invited.
Open Arms Christian Preschool Bakesale
The preschool parents will be providing delicious snacks for the fellowship time and a few special items to take home. Sunday, November 8, at 10:00 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall. The freewill offerings and a gift from Thrivent Financial will be used to support our preschool ministry.
Church Work Day
Come spend a Saturday morning at the church helping our Trustees with a few cleanup and maintenance projects. Saturday, November 14, at 9:00 AM.
Fall Congregation Meeting
Elections and approval of the 2016 budget are on the agenda for the annual autumn meeting. Sunday, November 15, at 10:20 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall. A light lunch will be served (free-will offering).
- Active members who are eighteen or older and have signed the constitution are eligible to vote.
- Child care will be provided.
Elderberries Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner
The Elderberries invite you to their free annual Pre-Thanksgiving meal of turkey and all the fixings; no need to bring anything but your appetite and the desire to fellowship with fellow Lutherans! Thursday, November 19, at Noon in the Large Fellowship Hall. RSVP by November 15 by calling the office or signing up on the sheet at the Welcome Center.
Christ the King
On the last Sunday of the church year, we look forward to Jesus' return in glory while celebrating His reign over a kingdom of love. Sunday, November 22, at 9:00 AM in the Worship Center.
We gather every year on the evening before Thanksgiving to reflect on the many blessings that God has given us and acknowledge the true source of our bounty. Wednesday, November 25, at 6:30 PM in the Worship Center. The offering from this service will go to Lutheran World Relief for their disaster relief efforts.
Church Office Closed
We will be closed Thursday, November 26, and Friday, November 27, for Thanksgiving. Normal hours resume Monday, November 30.
Board of Human Needs
We will have a business meeting, stock the Food Bank and set up the Giving Tree. Saturday, November 28, at 9:00 AM in Room 302. Breakfast will be provided, so please join us for this eventful morning!
Christmas Decorating Event
Come enjoy a chili meal and have some fun as we “deck the halls” of Saint John’s for Advent and Christmas. Sunday, November 29, at 11:30 AM in the Large Fellowship Hall.
- The “Angel Tree”: Remember a loved one or special occasion next week or any time through Advent—bring an angel from your Christmas decorations to add to our Angel Tree. If you wish, you may attach a small, unobtrusive note to the back of the ornament indicating in whose honor it is given. Ornaments will be kept for future use unless you indicate otherwise on the note.
Choir, Bell Choir and Band Rehearsals
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your talent to the choir, bell choir or band—we're always seeking out new musicians interested in lending their talents to help lead worship at Saint John's. Thursdays; Choir meets at 5:30 PM in the Worship Center; Bell Choir meets at 6:30 PM in Room 302; Band meets at 7:30 PM in the Worship Center. Contact Tom Miles for more details or with questions.
Concordia Book Club Deals
Concordia Publishing House is offering 20% off four great books through the end of November. To get a book, add your order to the sheet by the display copies across from the Welcome Center.
- Whisper, Whisper: Learning About Church: Rhyming texts and colorful illustrations help children up to age four understand the rituals and routine at church. Hardcover, $7.99
- The Choir Immortal: In this sequel to “House of Living Stones,“ author Katie Schuermann returns to the fictional small congregation as they prepare for the town’s “wedding of the century.” $10.39
- Standing Firm: Christian Response to Hostility and Persecution: Biblical perspectives on how Christians should respond to hostility and subtle persecution. $15.99
- Day by Day: 365 Devotional Readings with Martin Luther: These daily devotions draw from the many volumes of the English edition of “Luther’s Works,” including new material never before available to English speakers! $12.79
Purchase and Dedicate a New Hymnal
136 of our goal of 300 hymnals have been donated; please stop by the table by the Welcome Center to purchase and dedicate a new Lutheran Service Book in honor, memory or celebration of a special person or event. The hymnals are $30 each; you can order a personal copy at the same price.
Thank you from Jim and Judy Moore
We want to thank all of our Saint John’s family for the support, cards, prayers, memorials and being there for us during this difficult time, at the loss of our son, Scott. We especially want to thank Pastor Nettleton and Tom Miles for the beautiful memorial service and all the help that was given to us.
God bless you!
Pre-Vet Student Available to Help with Animal Care Needs
One of our Nursery Attendants, Gabriella Hamilton, is a sophomore pre-veterinary student at CSU. She is required to work with animals for 1,000 hours, both with and without a vet present. If you have animal care needs, anything from training a puppy to help bringing a cat to the vet clinic. Help Gabriella meet her dream of attending vet school by contacting her to help with training, pet sitting, basic maintenance or other needs.
Newsletter Publishing/Article Submission Schedule
This newsletter is published ten times per year.
- February issue published February 1 (articles due by January 16th).
- March issue published March 1 (articles due by February 16th).
- April issue published April 1 (articles due by March 16th).
- May issue published May 1 (articles due by April 16th).
- June issue published June 1 (articles due by May 16th).
- July/August issue published July 1 (articles due by June 16th).
- September issue published September 1 (articles due by August 16th).
- October issue published October 1 (articles due by September 16th).
- November issue published November 1 (articles due by October 16th).
- December/January issue published December 1 (articles due by November 16th).