- Written by Tom Miles Tom Miles
- Created: 02 September 2015 02 September 2015
There's always something happening at Saint John's. Read on to keep on top of activities, signups and other opportunities!
Thank You for the Medical Supplies for the Uganda Mission
You can read all about the mission trip Kimberly Pepmiller and Nelly Sanford took to Uganda later in this newsletter. But we wanted to extend a special thank you to everyone who donated supplies for them to haul with them to Africa. As you can see in the photos, they had a lot of stuff to take, from toothpaste to medicine. Luckily, the airline allowed an extra bag for each of them for medical supplies!
The items were all put to good use in an area that desperately needed the medical help.
Church Office Closed
The office will be closed for Labor Day (September 7). We’ll be back to our normal schedule Tuesday, September 8.
Christian Education Sunday
On Sunday, September 13, we will recognize the start of a new school year, which means a new year of Christian Education. As Sunday School and confirmation classes resume, it is a good time to reflect on our study of God's word, so we will kick off the new season with a special celebration for students of all ages.
Elderberries Third Thursday Event
After the potluck (please bring a dish to share) we will enjoy a travelogue presented by Jerry Roth. This will be a continuation of the presentation on Russia that he started last year.
Campus Ministry Kickoff Picnic
All college students are invited to gather for food and fellowship at the Groves home (1525 Hull A-4) on Sunday, September 13.
Don’t forget to join the group at www.facebook.com/groups/christlifefortcollins/ for details on this and all campus ministry activities.
Sign Up for the Women’s Retreat
Plan to join us at Lavender Springs Spa—“where women rest in God's faithfulness.” Invite a friend!
Saturday, September 26, from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM. It’s at Primrose Studio, up near the foothills of Fort Collins Please sign yourself and any guests up at the Welcome Center
Fall Fair Will Be Here Before We Know It
The Fall Fair will be on Lutheran Women’s Missionary League Sunday, October 11. We hope everyone will contribute to our annual mission-based fund raiser, sponsored by LWML and Thrivent, with homemade crafts, plants and baked goods.
Choir and Bell Choir Rehearsal
Share your musical gifts with the congregation by adding your talent to the choir, bell choir or band—we're always seeking out new musicians interested in lending their talents to help lead worship at Saint John's. Choir meets at 5:30 pm in the Worship Center; Bell Choir meets at 6:30 pm in Room 302. Rehearsals will begin September 17.
Contact Tom Miles for more details or with questions.
Elderberries Rockies Baseball Trip
We are taking a van down to Denver to see the Rockies play the Pittsburgh Pirates on Thursday, September 24. It’s just $10 per person for the tickets and the ride (thanks to Thrivent, the van and parking costs are covered). Expect a late morning departure for the 1:10 PM game.
Call the church office or contact Wil Shimoda by Monday, September 7, to register.
Food and Clothing Bank Report
Saint John’s Food and Clothing Bank volunteers send a huge “Thank you!” to our Saint John’s family for your generous support. We thought we would share with you just how many lives you’ve touched over the last year:
- July 2014: 34 children and 34 adults. 3 families on Food Stamps.
August 2014: 30 children, 25 adults and 1 senior. 2 families on Food Stamps.
- September 2014: 58 children, 40 adults and 1 senior. 7 families on Food Stamps.
- October 2014: 56 children, 36 adults and 1 senior. 2 families on Food Stamps.
- November 2014: 71 children, 49 adults and 2 seniors. 7 families on Food Stamps.
- December 2014: 39 children, 35 adults and 5 seniors.5 families on Food Stamps.
- January 2015: 60 children, 76 adults and 5 seniors. 4 families on Food Stamps.
- February 2015: 62 children, 49 adults and 5 seniors. 7 families on Food Stamps.
- March 2015: 82 children, 77 adults and 8 seniors. 15 families on Food Stamps.
- April 2015: 51 children, 59 adults and 2 seniors. 11 families on Food Stamps.
- May 2015: 66 children, 52 adults and 1 senior. 12 families on Food Stamps.
- June 2015: 28 children, 47 adults and 3 seniors. 7 families on Food Stamps.
That’s a total of 1,250 people—including 82 families on Food Stamps—in just the last year! The Lord has truly blessed us.
Signed: Marlys Hansen, Dorla Dittrich, Sandra Shields, Gloria Wilson, Helen Meyer, Barb Faucett and Fran Roth.