- Written by Nelly Sanford Nelly Sanford
- Created: 02 August 2017 02 August 2017
On Sunday, October 1, the Watoto Children’s Choir will perform a concert for our congregation at 6:30 PM. Please make every effort to hear these amazing children, especially if you missed it last year. The sanctuary will rock, literally, as these kids and adults sing, dance and share testimony of God’s great love.
Watoto is a group of orphanages in Uganda. Their model of small homes with a house mother for each group of six or so children has been replicated all over the world. The funds earned by the choir tour go to support the children, their education and the welfare and health of women and their families in Uganda. You will have the opportunity to adopt a child or house mother at Watoto as well as make donations and purchase items from Uganda. For more history of Watoto, check out www.watoto.com.
The summer of 2016 we hosted the choir and all involved cherished the time with these wonderful children and adults. The kids are friendly, affectionate and simply adorable. The three boys and adult David who stayed at our home prayed a blessing over us like I have never experienced. I encourage you to be a host if possible. We will need eight to ten hosts. Signup sheets will be at the Welcome Center in September. If you have questions about hosting, ask Marlys Hanson, the Fredins, the Sanfords, Marian Lemmon or the Hagedorns.
This year, we will need hosts for two nights, Sunday the first and Monday the second. We will also need help with providing dinner meals in the Large Fellowship Hall on the first and second, volunteers for the sale of souvenirs and setup/teardown of equipment on Sunday evening. Our tentative schedule will be:
Sunday, October 1 (Performance day):
- 4:00 PM: Choir arrives.
- 4:00 PM: Equipment setup in sanctuary.*
- 5:00 PM: Meal at church provided by congregation volunteers.*
- 6:30 PM: Concert.
- 7:30 PM: Sales of souvenirs.*
- After Concert: Teardown/packing up after concert.*
- 8:30–9:00 PM: Host families will get to take their group of three home. The performers do need a light supper before bed.
Monday, October 2 (Choir’s outing day):
- Breakfast with hosts at home.
- 9:30–10:00 AM: Hosts drop off guests at church.
- *10:00 AM–4:00 PM: Outing (playground time, hiking, etc … ); hosts may join us!*
- *5:00–6:00 PM: Meal at church provided by congregation volunteers.*
- After 6:00 PM: Guests return to host homes for the night.
Tuesday, October 3 (Choir’s travel day):
- 10:00 AM: Please have our guests at church.
*Saint Johns volunteers needed!
This is a rough schedule. Some changes may occur once we receive the final paperwork from Watoto. Please watch the bulletin for further details. There will be plenty of opportunities to help out and interact with these wonderful children of God … and you will be blessed!
The Board of Human Needs finds opportunities for the members of Saint John’s to provide a Christian witness by helping people in the community struggling with daily necessities.